Spanish Hogfish Wrasse Question

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I saw at a lfs a Spanish Hogfish Wrasse and was wondering what everyone's opinion it was? When I asked they said it was peaceful and was reef safe, but when I looked it up it said aggressive and that it was only reef safe as a juvenile, not as an adult. That fish store did have one in all of their frag tanks, so I wasn't sure what others opinions on this fish was? Thank you!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, Spanish hogfish also gets bigger than you might think. It may become a 10"+ long hog.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spanish Hogfish get up to 20" or more. I got a sweet Cuban Hogfish though since they only max about 9 or 10". He's about 8" and definitely more beautiful than the Spanish Hog. He did take out both my cleaner and skunk shrimps. Saw him trying to go at my trochus snail, but the snail held still and he couldn't get him over. Beautiful fish if you're willing to sacrifice some inverts.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20"? Whoa. I have seen some large ones in public aquaria, for sure.

Fishbase has the largest specimens at 15+" ,but common length of 11". They do make mistakes, however.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuban Hog looks somewhat similar (a bit less colorful) but gets to 8-9” I think. Spanish Hog gets to 10” according to Live Aquaria. IMO both can be fine in a 6-foot tank.

Not sure about their aggression but from what I know they are easy fish but may pose a hazard to inverts. They are big, active fish that need a cover (since they’re wrasses) and a good biological filtration.

There are some absolutely stunning fish from the Western Hemisphere (tropical Atlantic) that Asian aquarists like me find almost impossible to get. On the rare occasion we do get Atlantic imports they command a high price. The only Atlantic fish that is imported to here with regularity and an affordable price is the common Royal Gramma. There is a lower overall biodiversity in the tropical West Atlantic, it seems, compared to the Indo-Pacific, but with such beautiful fish like this OP I’d say if you can care for it then by all means go ahead and grab it as long as it’s compatible with the rest of your fish, you are willing to sacrifice inverts as others have pointed out, and your filtration and tank size can be sufficient.

Regarding FishBase for many species they don’t make it clear whether the sizes listed are that of the largest specimen recorded or the size all specimens of that species can expect to attain? For example they list maximum size of Ocellaris Clownfish as 11cm or about 4 and a half inches but most other sites including LiveAquaria say 3”.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuban Hog looks somewhat similar (a bit less colorful) but gets to 8-9” I think. Spanish Hog gets to 10” according to Live Aquaria. IMO both can be fine in a 6-foot tank.

Definitely disagree. Spanish is only purple and yellow. Cuban is a nice deep red with yellow and white.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a second look. IMO they’re equally beautiful. Just not a very accessible / affordable fish where I am plus I already have a couple large fish on my stocking list. Would love to have one in the future though.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Spanish hogfish still aggressive towards small fish if they grew up around them? Or it doesn't matter and they'll just go after it when they're older anyway? The one I saw at the lfs was only and inch and a half long.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Spanish hogfish still aggressive towards small fish if they grew up around them? Or it doesn't matter and they'll just go after it when they're older anyway? The one I saw at the lfs was only and inch and a half long.
I have a yellow coris wrasse that disappeared ever since I added my 8" Cuban Hog. Not sure if it killed it, or it's just too scared of the Cuban and keeps hiding? My pair of blackcap basslets tend to hide more now too. Obvious smaller fish are too fast for the Cuban to catch. I've never seem mines attempt to eat smaller fish, only shrimp.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back