Specific questions about Herbie style overflow

  • Thread starter Thread starter MGoers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MGoers

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Location
Wilmington, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm building a 93 cube in the coming weeks and was planning on using both existing holes for a Herbie overflow. I understand how it works and why, but I'm running into a problem specifically with the sump. I want to have an MRC sump built with the closed sock chamber, but don't know if I want to run each respective drain (1", and 3/4") to their own bulkhead, or if I should split the main drain into two. My concern is that I don't want only one sock catching all of the water. Can/should I tee the main drain and run the 3/4 to it's own extra bulkhead? Will this interfere with the full siphon and cause noise because of the tee in the main drain? How do people normally deal with this? I definitely want all of the water to go through filter socks. No fuge, so that's not really an option.

I have attached a picture of the kind of thing I'm talking about for the sump

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1707_zpscdf85030.jpg
    IMG_1707_zpscdf85030.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 126
I would tee the one 1 inch line and put two ball value after the tee. If dont use ball values you will have more flow in one. A 1 inch line will drain 800 gph.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new