Spider Filter feeder? What is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gracekain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gracekain

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2018
Messages
27
Reaction score
8
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered this organism on the glass today. Initially, there were two present: this one and a very small specimen. However, by the time I retrieved my phone, the smaller one had disappeared. Based on my observations, it appears to possess filter-feeding tentacles. Obtaining a clear image was challenging due to the water flow; therefore, I reduced the flow, and the organism immediately detached and settled to the substrate. I was then able to remove it.

20260409_142757.jpg 20260409_142759.jpg 20260409_142800.jpg 20260409_142801.jpg 20260409_142802.jpg 20260409_142803.jpg 20260409_142813.jpg 20260409_142814.jpg
 
That makes sense. I initially thought they resembled jellyfish. I am curious as to how it entered the tank. I double-dip my frags, both upon purchase and after quarantine, and I have utilized dry rock. Unless it somehow came in with the Fiji Pink Live Sand, I am at a loss.
 
I don't think anyone has definitively figured out how Hydroids entire a dry rock system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new