Spiny Sea Cucumber Questions

FishAreCool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a beginner to saltwater aquariums and I like the look of the spiny sea cucumber (Pentacta anceps). I have some questions about it.

1. Are they easy to keep? I have read that they are easy - moderate but liveaquaria lists them as expert only.
2. I know they are filter feeders but what are the best foods for them?
3. Do they need a established tank?
4. What are the odds of them poisoning my aquarium? All I have is snails for now.
5. Can I keep them in a 16 gallon biocube? I have heard they dont move around alot.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
if it’s only a 16G tank, i highly suggest not to get one. they’re always eating from what i’ve been told. an urchin would suffice once the tank is established

edit: live aquaria even states minimum tank size is 30G

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am a beginner to saltwater aquariums and I like the look of the spiny sea cucumber (Pentacta anceps). I have some questions about it.

1. Are they easy to keep? I have read that they are easy - moderate but liveaquaria lists them as expert only.
2. I know they are filter feeders but what are the best foods for them?
3. Do they need a established tank?
4. What are the odds of them poisoning my aquarium? All I have is snails for now.
5. Can I keep them in a 16 gallon biocube? I have heard they dont move around alot.
Congrats on researching before jumping into a specimen.
As for your questions (answered in bold) . . . . .

1. Are they easy to keep? Provide good conditions and FOOD - They cannot starve and can be an easy specimen
2. I know they are filter feeders but what are the best foods for them? phytoplankton and zooplankton
3. Do they need a established tank? Well, at least one that has detritus and food source as they capture food while its in motion
4. What are the odds of them poisoning my aquarium? They really have to be posed with threat and chances of releasing toxin often low
5. Can I keep them in a 16 gallon biocube? If you give them good water movement which offers food, they can stay in that same area for months but they need at least 24" of length in the event they are active

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats on researching before jumping into a specimen.
As for your questions (answered in bold) . . . . .

1. Are they easy to keep? Provide good conditions and FOOD - They cannot starve and can be an easy specimen
2. I know they are filter feeders but what are the best foods for them? phytoplankton and zooplankton
3. Do they need a established tank? Well, at least one that has detritus and food source as they capture food while its in motion
4. What are the odds of them poisoning my aquarium? They really have to be posed with threat and chances of releasing toxin often low
5. Can I keep them in a 16 gallon biocube? If you give them good water movement which offers food, they can stay in that same area for months but they need at least 24" of length in the event they are active
Also Live aquaria tends to overstate requirements especially size which is in the wild and not captivity.

OP
OP
FishAreCool

FishAreCool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might avoid it then because I have measured and my tank is only around 13.5 inches long.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back