Spiral hard polyp or something

brightonjg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please ID what these are? They’re whitish purple, hard, spiral, and popping up everywhere!!

9316DC48-A908-4231-B514-178D05C112B8.jpeg 0059991E-73EC-44C0-9BC3-D6695FB0C11B.jpeg E0F76614-172A-43F4-8C65-0198245D7E2C.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on vermitted snails,spiral base and often red in varying sizes depending on type,they feed and reproduce by expelling a mucus net which they grab food with then reel in and eat,some dont mind them,some find they don't cause no bother but some find they irritate corals.
If want to remove can grab pair off tweezers and snap off at base ensuring to get all off it,can pull rock out off tank and use needle nose pliers to twist/snap off/some use little dab off superglue and glue the end shut so they starve to death as cant expel the mucus net to feed/I've read some have had success with adding bumble bee snails.

OP
OP
B

brightonjg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg thank U so much!!!! So glad it’s harmless. I don’t mind how they look, but I thought my tank was done for thank you guys

vtshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg thank U so much!!!! So glad it’s harmless. I don’t mind how they look, but I thought my tank was done for thank you guys
I wouldn't say they're harmless - they can irritate corals with their web, so it's good to manually remove them if you find them before there's too many.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any of them, grab a knife and start popping them off now (and trashing them, don't let it fall to the bottom of tank and stay there). They will take over entire tanks, and with high enough numbers their mucus strands can harm corals. They also get incredibly unsightly and make it look like you dont take care of your tank when you really do (guess this depends on the person though, but to me it’s like seeing a tank with aiptasia).

I personally hate these so much I’ve restarted multiple tanks. Some people say they are unavoidable, but that is not true in the slightest. You can buy gulf liverock with tons of hitchhikers, and still have a tank vermentid-free.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're invasive in some tanks, a mild annoyance in others. I kinda wonder if there are multiple species running around, for some people to have few/no problems with them and some to have a pest worthy of a tank teardown. Removing them is probably a good idea. At worst, you've removed a minor annoyance. At best, you've prevented a mega headache.

OP
OP
B

brightonjg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say they're harmless - they can irritate corals with their web, so it's good to manually remove them if you find them before there's too many.
They’re starting to take over. I don’t know what to do. Any help on how to remove them after they have taken over and are going to be really hard to remove manually?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back