Spirobid worms on glass - help

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a macro lens today, I confirmed that my tank has spirobid worms - my hope is to minimize the infestation - they are starting to multiply on one side of the glass. Tank is 6 months old, and I keep feeding to a minimal and use pellets for my clownfish, so I tend to keep nutrition load minimal to control phosphates.

What are my options to eradicate them? If I scrape them off, I'm assuming they'll just land on the sand and continue to multiply.

Being new to all this, hoping other reefers can share their thoughts and what I should be doing.

Cheers

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are, to my understanding, harmless, though unsightly if I do say so myself. I would scrape them off and avoid feeding very fine/small foods (sounds like you are doing this). Don't know that you can really eradicate them aside from nuking the tank. . .

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harmless, just another part of the ecosystem. If you don't like the way they look scrape the glass. But no effective way to get rid of them that isn't going to impact other things

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are, to my understanding, harmless, though unsightly if I do say so myself. I would scrape them off and avoid feeding very fine/small foods (sounds like you are doing this). Don't know that you can really eradicate them aside from nuking the tank. . .
Thanks - I wonder if they will eventually starve out and as result their population reaches zero. I'm assuming they got into the tank via one of my corals I purchased - guess the dip didn't work.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are harmless, just another part of the ecosystem. If you don't like the way they look scrape the glass. But no effective way to get rid of them that isn't going to impact other things
Thanks - right now the population is small, but I"m not sure if scraping the glass will just have them drop to the substrate and continue as is.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine, my back glass is covered in them. They just suck up calcium.

A quick pass with a razor blade is all you need to take them off.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak at what must have been around the 6 month mark. The rear glass was covered and the little white coils stood out like a sore thumb all over my rock.
I didn't do anything in particular although some tiny specimens were no doubt removed from the rest of the glass during normal cleaning.
12 months in now and with the exception of a few in the sump they’re completely gone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back