Splitting a colony question

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a small frag of candy apples and glued the small rock plug that they came on onto a larger rock. The colony has easily tripled in size and the new polyps are firmly attached to the larger rock. Now, the original small frag rock has become unglued from the bigger rock and it’s dangling from the polyps attached to the big rock. I would like to divide and move this frag onto another part of the rock so it covers it faster. The bigger rock can’t be removed from tank. So, to split the colony do I cut it with a scalpel, do I gently “tear” the colony in two, use scissors?
Thanks

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest using a scalpel and try to cut between the polyps as best you can to remove what you want. A small pair of scissors may work also, but I've found a scalpel works better.

OP
OP
Dawgvet

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. Would I need to run charcoal? I would be cutting next to 4 or 5 polyps.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely for that few, but what size is your tank?

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon with a 20 gal sump. Approx 60 gal total water volume.

Go for it and remember...scapels are very sharp...lol.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a veterinarian, so I’m quite used to them. :D

I assumed so based on your username so I was just teasing you a little. Good luck with the project and take some before and after pictures to share.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ripped colonies, cut them with a straight-edge razor and used surgical scissors. The razor and scissors leave a cleaner cut and more whole polyps when you're done.

OP
OP
Dawgvet

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... 60 gal total water volume....??
Sump is part fuge also and I would guess it’s half full, so 10 gal there. I have big rocks in dt. 1 acro colony that started as a 1 inch frag is as big as a watermelon and it easily displaces 5 gal by itself. My yellow goby loves that colony. It started to grow almost out of the water and it got so heavy that it toppled over one day, so I just turned it on it’s side. Anyhow, maybe a bit more than 60 gal total.

OP
OP
Dawgvet

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ripped colonies, cut them with a straight-edge razor and used surgical scissors. The razor and scissors leave a cleaner cut and more whole polyps when you're done.
I’ve got a #11 scalpel blade which is pointed and also small Iris scissors (small,sharp and pointed) that I use to make trout flies. I may have better control of the cut with the iris scissors so I may start with those.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a #11 scalpel blade which is pointed and also small Iris scissors (small,sharp and pointed) that I use to make trout flies. I may have better control of the cut with the iris scissors so I may start with those.
Scissors, especially the curved ones, can be very useful getting around the base of polyps with added precision.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is part fuge also and I would guess it’s half full, so 10 gal there. I have big rocks in dt. 1 acro colony that started as a 1 inch frag is as big as a watermelon and it easily displaces 5 gal by itself. My yellow goby loves that colony. It started to grow almost out of the water and it got so heavy that it toppled over one day, so I just turned it on it’s side. Anyhow, maybe a bit more than 60 gal total.

Right on. I had a few drinks last night and couldn’t wrap my head around that [emoji28]

OP
OP
Dawgvet

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed so based on your username so I was just teasing you a little. Good luck with the project and take some before and after pictures to share.
I divided the colony and it was easier than I expected. I went with a scalpel and a new #11 blade:
F8D06F66-E734-4C37-A454-59E8C1F3D5D5.jpeg

Here is the before picture (sorry for iPhone picture) where you can see the portion I wanted to separate hanging down at the bottom
DBE42E81-9DDC-48F4-95D9-0948D612D585.jpeg

Thanks for all the recommendations. The part attached to the main rock is doing fine. The original frag is still “in recovery” and just beginning to open back up.

Last edited:

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work Doc...and you didn't even have to sedate this patient...lol. The original portion should be fine in a day or two after the trauma of being cut on! Good looking colony by the way.

taxiem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a veterinarian, so I’m quite used to them. :D

I read this as "I am a vegetarian....." spent the last 5 minutes baffled why that would make you good with a scalpel while envisioning micro surgery on a carrot hahaha xx

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back