Splitting Up the Fish in My 230 (New 150)

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up a used 150 on Wednesday to split the fish up.

My main objective is to split the bioload properly then separate the Sohal and Queen Trigger.

I could do the Queen Trigger by itself in the 150 but I'd like to keep it socialized so they can all eventually get along in a large predator pond (750-100 gallon)

No sump in the 150 so I want to keep the load lighter, just HOB skimmer and bio.

Any suggestions on how to stock each?

Sohal Tang Large - 10 inches - 230
Queen Trigger Large - 6 inches - 150

Emp Angel Large
Clown Trigger Large
Porc Puff Large
Mappa Puff Med
Harlequin Tusk Large
Blueline Trigger Med
Emp Snapper Med
Humu Trig Med
Titan Trig Tiny/Small
Undulate Trig Small
Dragon Wrasse Small
Dwarf Goldentail Moray Large
Tessalata Moray Medium

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have so many trouble points I don't even know where to start, you need to think about a 500g plus. So many of those will get very, very aggressive; I mean murderous aggressive and those tanks are not large enough. You could put your small fish in the 150g for a while, as they will eventually outgrow that tank. The 230 could house some of the others but they may get too aggressive in that tank, and especially if overcrowded. Please don't say how everyone is currently model citizens, because it many times starts out that way, and at a certain point many of those fish turn. The sohal, queen, and tessa are all in a league of their own; and if you want them to be with other fish; you need a much larger tank. The mappa puffer needs a much larger tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have so many trouble points I don't even know where to start, you need to think about a 500g plus. So many of those will get very, very aggressive; I mean murderous aggressive and those tanks are not large enough. You could put your small fish in the 150g for a while, as they will eventually outgrow that tank. The 230 could house some of the others but they may get too aggressive in that tank, and especially if overcrowded. Please don't say how everyone is currently model citizens, because it many times starts out that way, and at a certain point many of those fish turn. The sohal, queen, and tessa are all in a league of their own; and if you want them to be with other fish; you need a much larger tank. The mappa puffer needs a much larger tank.
Just looked at the adult sizes of these fish… holy moly. Does that puffer really reach 2 feet in an aquarium??

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the goal is to split those two and equal out the bio-load from your 7 triggers, 2 eels, 2 wrasses, 2 puffers, one tang, and one angel , the most logical way IMO is 4 triggers along with the larger wrasse, larger eel, larger puffer, the angel, and the sohal in the 230 and the rest go to the other.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely aware and I'm working on splitting them up then getting the process started on the XL pond set up.

Tank has been up about a year, the Sohal is becoming a bit of a problem but nothing major yet.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back