Sponge killing corals

Tiberio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm searching for an advice, I have an sponge growing over my corals, it's color white/grey, the sponge it's touching some corals and it's killing them, I have already tried to expose it to air for 5 minutes with no success.

Does anyone has experienced this problem and now how to get rid of it?

OP
OP
Tiberio

Tiberio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the sponge

c1ad23ec01b0207699b17c0b7df05c2c.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge is already in the system so it's an uphill battle. You run a 1/4 in siphon next to it like with bubble algae if you want cutb it down.
I usually just tooth brush it or pick it off with a fingernail.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a sponge issue where they were suffocating my zoanthid garden. I exposed them the whole rock to air for about 30 minutes and did a freshwater dip. The freshwater really did the trick and I just went to town with some tweezers and picked them all off. not a trace of those buggers anymore.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping the sponge covered area in freshwater may do the trick! If you are very careful and nimble go can run a slow stream of water from the sink on just the sponge.Use your hands to or toothbrush to scrub it away.In addition I have set corals upside down in small Tupperware containers.I left the sponge in open air for a extended period of time this way.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 97 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back