living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll sell you some of my water!! ;)

Lol! I suppose this thread is a desperate cry for help on how I can keep my nutrient levels up to 3 and .03 nitrate/phos respectively.

They keep bottoming out requiring me to dose nitrogen and phosphorous daily at this point (in my display as well).

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your main nutrients export? If it’s a skimmer shut it off for a couple days and see if that helps while increasing your feeding a bit.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your main nutrients export? If it’s a skimmer shut it off for a couple days and see if that helps while increasing your feeding a bit.

For my display it's a skimmer and fuge. I added a large order of tang heaven to the fuge which I think may have caused the nutrients to bottom out in there. 90% of it has since been given away to another hobbyist since. I have been turning off my return and skimmer while feeding so the fish can eat everything and also allow the excess to get to the bottom of the tank to decompose. Today, I cut the photoperiod for my fuge to 8 hours (was 16).

I have an interesting theory on why my nutrients are bottoming out in there (it's a bit of an out there idea though).

For my frag tank, I only have an hob power filter on there with a little carbon packet. I dose aminos daily, and target feed mysis/roids once a week.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a way to bottle fish poop for my frag tank.

I’ll give you a lot of business.

I promise.
Old school trick, hang some sponges in tank, preferably sump, squeeze in the morning and evening. Bacteria galore. Some nutrients for frags. Just ask my frags, they love it

1 of 15 frags carnation corals, dendronephthya sp

20191003_092006.jpg

marke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with bottling fish poop is you need a good preservative. That might eliminate the smell. Whats poop without stank. The main ingredients your looking for in poop is nitrates and phosphates. Both available by ME. Stank not included.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school trick, hang some sponges in tank, preferably sump, squeeze in the morning and evening. Bacteria galore. Some nutrients for frags. Just ask my frags, they love it

1 of 15 frags carnation corals, dendronephthya sp

20191003_092006.jpg

My frags get loads of nutrients delivered to them all week but I can’t keep phosphate or nitrate levels up.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to use skimmer less

I don’t even have a skimmer on my frag tank! There is nothing but a hob power filter with a small carbon packet.

I’ve been dosing 1.3ppm nitrate and .012 phosphate daily in the tank. I’m almost spending an hour a day testing and dosing accordingly.

Every single day when I re test, nitrate will be about 1ppm and phosphate will be at or near 0.

I have a really crazy theory as to what’s going on but it’s out there.

Kind of at my wits end, all of this testing, for nitrate and phosphate of all parameters, is getting old.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks and I have used these products to keep nutrients up in our tanks when we were going through a fallow period. Worked pretty well.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even have a skimmer on my frag tank! There is nothing but a hob power filter with a small carbon packet.

I’ve been dosing 1.3ppm nitrate and .012 phosphate daily in the tank. I’m almost spending an hour a day testing and dosing accordingly.

Every single day when I re test, nitrate will be about 1ppm and phosphate will be at or near 0.

Kind of at my wits end, all of this testing, for nitrate and phosphate of all parameters, is getting old.
I'd love to hear your theory no matter how crazy.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks and I have used these products to keep nutrients up in our tanks when we were going through a fallow period. Worked pretty well.

I’ve been using neo nitrate for the nitrate but have been using seachem phosphorus for the phoshate.

I am a big fan of brughtwell! So much easier to measure doses.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear your theory no matter how crazy.

So it’s out there, but at this point I have no other explanation.

I’ve been trying to bulk up my pod pop in both tanks heavily the past month.

I have been feeding about 5ml of live pods to the 10g frag tank and about 20ml to my 65g dt (100g volume) every night for the last month.

What if something happened water chemistry wise that hit my pods and I’ve been feeding phytos so aggressively to a tank where there isn’t much that will feed on them other than mycoral?

Phytos of course consume a fair amount of nitrate and phosphate.

I know it’s a little wild but something is sucking The nutrients out of my tank at an insane pace. I feed and dose the tank so much that this shouldn’t be happening without something actively feeding on the nutrients.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need one of these for your frag tank

grouper.jpg

In my very early days of tank keeping (pre internet info) I got a panther grouper, I noticed as he got fatter my fish population started to get slimmer:eek:. He was removed post haste.
Beautiful fish, it's like keeping a lion with a herd of sheep.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel your pain I went through the exact same thing. Do you have a main tank you can use water from to do a WC? Or nutrients are low there too???

The main thing I found useful was not trying to chase numbers exactly, you will drive yourself insane. For nutrients just dose enough N and P to keep them registering on the test kit. Keep ALK stable. I didn’t worry too much about calcium and magnesium. The smaller the frag tank the more difficult it is to keep everything stable if you have a fair amount of consumption.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back