Spot on clown fish head

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on with my clown. Kinda looks like it's missing white pigment on its head. I also see a few small ovals on one side that looks like it's starting to do the same thing. I've never seen this before and was wondering what it could be. Any info would be appreciated.

I've attached the best pics I could muster. It will not stay still for a pic.

He was solid white on his head yesterday.
20180612_181052.jpg

The one on the left in this pic.
20180612_181019.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's going on with my clown. Kinda looks like it's missing white pigment on its head. I also see a few small ovals on one side that looks like it's starting to do the same thing. I've never seen this before and was wondering what it could be. Any info would be appreciated.

I've attached the best pics I could muster. It will not stay still for a pic.

He was solid white on his head yesterday.
20180612_181052.jpg

The one on the left in this pic.
20180612_181019.jpg

Are these in QT? How long have you had them?

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these in QT? How long have you had them?

They are in qt. They are also being treated for internal parasites due to stringy white feces. I'm using general cure and focus soaked food for that. On day 10 of treatment. I've had them for almost 3 months now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in qt. They are also being treated for internal parasites due to stringy white feces. I'm using general cure and focus soaked food for that. On day 10 of treatment. I've had them for almost 3 months now.

Any aggression? Could be a couple things, but let's see what others say.

Ill ask for some more eyes on this!

#reefsquad.
@Humblefish, @4FordFamily

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Flippers4pups my first impression is the one clown is probably beating up on the other. If its causing to much of an issue other than determining dominance Separate them if you're able to ir divide the tank with something to see if it improves

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aggression? Could be a couple things, but let's see what others say.

Ill ask for some more eyes on this!

#reefsquad.

I have seen the affected one do the submission shimmy dance a few times. It seemed like they paired up a few weeks ago, but perhaps not. Haven't noticed one picking on the other at all.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the affected one do the submission shimmy dance a few times. It seemed like they paired up a few weeks ago, but perhaps not. Haven't noticed one picking on the other at all.

I'm going with aggression at this point, I would separate the two for now and see if the area on the one improves.

Having them for three months kinda rules out brooklynella. Do you have anything else in the QT with them?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation, but with Picassos the "dance" is often much less physical then with many other kinds of clowns. The spots that can be visably seen on the male are on the top of the head and right by the dorsal, which would also be abnormal spots if it was aggression. I'm thinking this is something else as they appear to be rub marks.

EDIT: I'm not a disease expert by any means but any chance this is HLLE?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation, but with Picassos the "dance" is often much less physical then with many other kinds of clowns. The spots that can be visably seen on the male are on the top of the head and right by the dorsal, which would also be abnormal spots if it was aggression. I'm thinking this is something else as they appear to be rub marks.
Some type of HLLE perhaps?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, kinda weird. Still could be chasing and it ran into something. Skin missing. Jumping could be a issue.

Do you have a screen top on your QT?
Can't tell from the pictures, is it fins frayed?

Last edited:

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited my original post, but IIRC there was a study a few years ago where HLLE could be caused by Activated Carbon, would make some sense here. Dunno though like I said I try to stay away from this forum as much as possible

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Flippers4pups my first impression is the one clown is probably beating up on the other. If its causing to much of an issue other than determining dominance Separate them if you're able to ir divide the tank with something to see if it improves

I'm kinda curious to see how this turns out myself. They don't seem aggessive towards one another at all from what I've seen. Pretty sure they have paired up actually.

I was hoping to take them off the general cure but saw stringy poop today from both of them.

And looking back at some of my pics, that area of the affected fishes head looks a little sunken in to me. They both have great appetites, so I'm not terribly worried as of yet. Just a bit concerned is all.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda curious to see how this turns out myself. They don't seem aggessive towards one another at all from what I've seen. Pretty sure they have paired up actually.

I was hoping to take them off the general cure but saw stringy poop today from both of them.

And looking back at some of my pics, that area of the affected fishes head looks a little sunken in to me. They both have great appetites, so I'm not terribly worried as of yet. Just a bit concerned is all.

I would keep a eye on it for now and see if it's better or worse tomorrow. If possible get some Selcon and soak their food in it.

This could end up being a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited my original post, but IIRC there was a study a few years ago where HLLE could be caused by Activated Carbon, would make some sense here. Dunno though like I said I try to stay away from this forum as much as possible

This is interesting! I added activated carbon 4 days ago. Could have something to do with this. I usually don't run activated carbon. Going to pull it to see if there is a change. I'll change one thing at a time to see what the results are.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting! I added activated carbon 4 days ago. Could have something to do with this. I usually don't run activated carbon. Going to pull it to see if there is a change. I'll change one thing at a time to see what the results are.

Usually it's most prevalent in tangs. I'm not sure about HLLE happening that quickly with GAC use.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MTBake

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a eye on it for now and see if it's better or worse tomorrow. If possible get some Selcon and soak their food in it.

This could end up being a bacterial infection.

I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or better. As of now, the spot seems to be getting larger. But the lights are off now.

And it is also possible it jumped into the lid or swam into something. My qt is a 20 long with a standard lid/light combo.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back