Spot on urchin

CarleyFreeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this spot on my tuxedo urchin this morning. Had it about a month. Lost a few spines right at first, but no more until last night, then I noticed this. Tank is newish (about 3 months), but supplementing with seaweed, veggie rounds/algae wafers. Added a fire shrimp, court jester goby and spendid dortyback earlier this week. Other tankmates are 3 regal damsels, 3 blue leg hermits and a midas blenny. No corals or nems. All equipment is in rear chambers and not accessible in display. Jbj 65, pics of parameters from LFS water test done today.
Anything I can do to help it?

86159187-9461-46BF-B43D-79F6970C9774.jpeg 4E2F7884-A726-43B9-9745-333904A5F1B9.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
CarleyFreeman

CarleyFreeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help
Thanks for trying. Lost the urchin last night. Not sure if it was nitrates or something else. Everything was back to normal after water change but he just kept going downhill.

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has more information on these markings on urchins? I lost a pencil urchin early this year and noticed a similar color spot on him.

Now my rainbow fire urchin has the same colored spot and I’m worried this is a signal that he will be gone soon

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has more information on these markings on urchins? I lost a pencil urchin early this year and noticed a similar color spot on him.

Now my rainbow fire urchin has the same colored spot and I’m worried this is a signal that he will be gone soon
Unfortunately, none from me - the darkened, discolored patch on the test is interesting though. Maybe @Jay Hemdal would have an idea.

All I can really ask is what have you been feeding the urchins, and what are your parameters?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, none from me - the darkened, discolored patch on the test is interesting though. Maybe @Jay Hemdal would have an idea.

All I can really ask is what have you been feeding the urchins, and what are your parameters?
I’ve not seen localized spine loss like that - usually they droop/drop all over. I’m not sure what this is, sorry.

Back