Spotlight on the Kessil AP700 LED Lighting Panel | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

We're adding to our collection of LED lighting Spotlight videos with today's look at the Kessil AP700. For many of you who remember, these are the same lights we used on the BRS160 during it's first two years of running. Without a doubt, we were very successful with our AP700s and today's video will show you how you can too!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video @randyBRS . Thanks for sharing. I have this fixture on my 3 ft 70 gallon tank. I added the aquatic life hybrid to it. Was wondering with the 4 T5 bulbs running, would you still recommend the same deep blue ocean setting (4th from the end of the dial). What was the reasoning for this setting?
I am using running 2 ATI blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus.
Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video! Thank you very much for taking the time to make it :) Easily my favorite light ever. Teamed up with the aquatic life t5, my corals look amazing! :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video @randyBRS . Thanks for sharing. I have this fixture on my 3 ft 70 gallon tank. I added the aquatic life hybrid to it. Was wondering with the 4 T5 bulbs running, would you still recommend the same deep blue ocean setting (4th from the end of the dial). What was the reasoning for this setting?
I am using running 2 ATI blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus.
Thanks!

With Kessil Logic, which allows you to set the spectrum anywhere from the deepest blue to the lightest and know that each is optimized for coral growth. With that, it really comes down to an aesthetic choice to you personally as to what level of blue you like in your tank. For the BRS160, we ran it at the same setting in the video and produced great results! :)

good video. have this over my 4ft 120 gallon tank. what's your input for the red and green channels. do they do anything for the coral or just for our eyes?

I can't say we tested the spectrum on those additional colors nor have we tested long term effects with them added into the spectrum mix. However, it seems those additional spectrum choices fall outside of what has become known and trusted to grow coral (and not algae), in which case we'd simply opt to not use them but rather stick to what we know works.

-Randy

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff, purchased one recently. Can you elaborate on the acclimation template and when used?

Thanks! When it comes to acclimating corals to a new light source, slower is better so the acclimation setting is pretty handy in this case. I'd imagine it's most likely used when replacing a light source, like swapping out T5s for AP700s, or used when initially stocking the tank with quite a few coral. Outside of that, when the corals are acclimated that feature will probably be less imortant. :)

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank, that has a Synergy Overflow, right in the middle of the rear panel.

For lighting I'm considering the Kessil AP700 , two of them, with the A-series mounting arms. (I can't hang them as I have a very high ceiling above the tank) I'm concerned that the location of the mounts, on the rear, will be hindered by the Synergy box.

The two AP700's would be hopefully mounted equidistant from each other, left to right.

What do you guys think?

[KRAFTIG]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! When it comes to acclimating corals to a new light source, slower is better so the acclimation setting is pretty handy in this case. I'd imagine it's most likely used when replacing a light source, like swapping out T5s for AP700s, or used when initially stocking the tank with quite a few coral. Outside of that, when the corals are acclimated that feature will probably be less imortant. :)

This is my first foray into SW. I'm staring out with FOWLR. Is intensity and length off lighting as important?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first foray into SW. I'm staring out with FOWLR. Is intensity and length off lighting as important?
It is, to a certain point. If you have the lighting schedule to long, it could promote unwanted algae growth.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good video. have this over my 4ft 120 gallon tank. what's your input for the red and green channels. do they do anything for the coral or just for our eyes?

Those are for aesthetic reasons only. To enhance the look as you see fit. Use them don’t use them it matters not to the corals. As long as you don’t use them as the main source of the lighting. The blues are what corals need.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what lights they are using on the brs 160 now? Thanks

They have since switched from the AP700 to the Kessil 360s for ease of use with filming videos. Aparantly they decided it was easier to adjust the 360s to optimize appearance when taking video. As we all know the camera isn’t friendly to use and our blue LEDs. Thankfully it not something I worry about.

I have had my Kessil AP700s for almost 3 years and absolutely love them.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have since switched from the AP700 to the Kessil 360s for ease of use with filming videos. Aparantly they decided it was easier to adjust the 360s to optimize appearance when taking video. As we all know the camera isn’t friendly to use and our blue LEDs. Thankfully it not something I worry about.

I have had my Kessil AP700s for almost 3 years and absolutely love them.

Are they still using the canopy and how many 360’s are they running? I’ve built a canopy for my 6’ tank and have 4 t5’s and will be adding led lights to them.

image.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g reef with mostly lps and softies. I have 1 ap700 centered over the tank 18" off the water and run it at 55% max. I am going to try increasing it again based on this video.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still using the canopy and how many 360’s are they running? I’ve built a canopy for my 6’ tank and have 4 t5’s and will be adding led lights to them.

Yep, we have since changed from AP700s to A360s, because on-the-fly adjustment to color spectrum is much faster (which is great for when we need to make adjustments for filming purposes). We have (5x) A360s across the 6ft tank and (4x) ATI Blue Plus bulbs for our T5s.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g reef with mostly lps and softies. I have 1 ap700 centered over the tank 18" off the water and run it at 55% max. I am going to try increasing it again based on this video.

Great opportunity to use the acclimation mode! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back