Spotlight on the Zeovit Method | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Today we explore what the Zeovit system is and how to keep it running on your tank, which may not be as hard as you think! Even we were so impressed with the Zeovit System on other reefer's tanks that we used it on our very own BRS160! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the video!

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used on an all in one system like the RSM C-130?
Yes, no issues with using it on this AIO sys. You will need to get an external media (Zeolite) reactor such as the Avast Marine Vibe. The only issue you may run into is limited space to add another pump for the reactor but you can use one of the chambers that you would setup a refugium in for that. (Zeovit does not recommend the use of a refugium with the system). All of the other elements you can dose into the tank with no issues.

Last edited:

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use this system on my 20g IM Drop off? I don't have a skimmer on it as of yet & am not sure I will be adding one yet. My intent is to do frequent water changes. What do you guys think?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use this system on my 20g IM Drop off? I don't have a skimmer on it as of yet & am not sure I will be adding one yet. My intent is to do frequent water changes. What do you guys think?

It is possible, but you would need a method of running your zeolites in a bag and shaking them once a day. Im not sure what the space is like in that tank, but youd basically need two bags (one for carbon and one for ZeoLite) and the rest is just droppers or pipettes. Ive been running my system on Zeo for a year and a half with no issues at all.

The issue I see with no skimmer is the possibility of getting heavy biofilm in/on the water because you arent skimming out the excess bacteria that are propogating. Ive noticed that when running a bacteria driven system (Zeo, Biopellets, etc) that the skimmate is really dark and nasty and without a skimmer you may walk a fine line between management and outbreak.

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking too. There just isn't a ton of room in the model I have. The one I have is the Abyss Panorama. The Sump(rear) section is rather small & limited. There isn't a ton of space for a lot of equipment. I have my heater in the skimmer compartment. The water level in the pump compartment is a bit lower than I'd like for my heater to reside, so I am not sure what I will do with that. They also don't seem to make media basket instead of the filter sock for the Abyss line yet... Any thoughts or recommendations?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mostly the Zeovit reactor is more of a convenience to house the media under controlled flow, in which case you could probably work around it by using a media bag. Check out this video we did that talks about this same topic. :)

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering just placing the media in a bag instead of a reactor. . . Than, placing that in the filter sock. Trying to find a skimmer that would fit in it too... I've heard bad about the IM Ghost skimmer, it being loud and creates microbubbles.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to ZEOvit, it's contraindicated to use ZEOvit products in conjunction with ozone or ATS:

"We would like to emphasize that the use of Ozone or UV sterilizers are not possible with this system. The added microorganisms and elements will be destroyed by its use." (http://www.zeovitusa.com/template/Panels/zeoguide_english_1_03.pdf page 14)

In contrast, AquaForest states, under the probiotic section (i.e., carbon dosing method):

"Ozon, UV: Not recommended, but acceptable. It’s an unacceptable to use ozone in combination with Probiotic Reef Salt." (https://s3.amazonaws.com/brsinstructions/brsAquaforest/Aquaforest_Products-Guide_EN_RGB.pdf page 7).

While not identical, both systems use carbon dosing as a premise to the methodologies. How does @Bulk Reef Supply and other R2R members (perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley may wish to weigh in from a chemistry perspective) feel about ozone dosing and the use of algae reactor or algae scrubber?

I am using sugar carbon dosing with both algae scrubber, as well as a DIY chaeto reactor, and other than a reduced pH and reduced ORP reading (with larger sugar doses), I have seen no other ill effects.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
While not identical, both systems use carbon dosing as a premise to the methodologies. How does @Bulk Reef Supply and other R2R members (perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley may wish to weigh in from a chemistry perspective) feel about ozone dosing and the use of algae reactor or algae scrubber?

I don't see any conflict between ozone and algae growth systems, at least when used properly. I've used both at the same time. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to ZEOvit, it's contraindicated to use ZEOvit products in conjunction with ozone or ATS:

"We would like to emphasize that the use of Ozone or UV sterilizers are not possible with this system. The added microorganisms and elements will be destroyed by its use." (http://www.zeovitusa.com/template/Panels/zeoguide_english_1_03.pdf page 14)

In contrast, AquaForest states, under the probiotic section (i.e., carbon dosing method):

"Ozon, UV: Not recommended, but acceptable. It’s an unacceptable to use ozone in combination with Probiotic Reef Salt." (https://s3.amazonaws.com/brsinstructions/brsAquaforest/Aquaforest_Products-Guide_EN_RGB.pdf page 7).

I think both of them are making the potentially incorrect assumption that ozone is sterilizing the water. They way many/most people use it, it is not, and so would not be an issue.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both of them are making the potentially incorrect assumption that ozone is sterilizing the water. They way many/most people use it, it is not, and so would not be an issue.

Thank you for that and all the other pieces of advice. That was my suspicion as well, but I lack the chemistry expertise to make that call. The way I am using ozone is indeed primarily as a water clarifier. For me, it enhances the skimmer, when both air intake valves are open--one connected to the ozone generator and one connected to the outside air. It degrades the skimmer when only one is connected to the ozone generator and the other one is sealed shut.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back