Spots on orange shoulder tang

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Thinking these spots are bacterial. Fish has been in qt for quite some time. It has Been treated with GQ and prazi. Seems healthy eats and acts fine. I treated with furan 2 the other day but only 1/2 treatment protocol. 1 dose 24 hrs then another dose. I've done a 25% WC. Started today with metro and kana with focus in food. Not sure where to go with this. Pictures in thread.
20230708_092216.jpg

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Thinking these spots are bacterial. Fish has been in qt for quite some time. It has Been treated with GQ and prazi. Seems healthy eats and acts fine. I treated with furan 2 the other day but only 1/2 treatment protocol. 1 dose 24 hrs then another dose. I've done a 25% WC. Started today with metro and kana with focus in food. Not sure where to go with this. Pictures in thread.
20230708_092216.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20230708_092216.jpg
Pics are extremely blurry to make out anything.
There is a lot of medication administered in a short amount of time and its important to pin point issue and also use a full dose versus half for effectiveness.
To proceed, please resubmit pics and assure tank glass and camera lens are clear.

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are extremely blurry to make out anything.
There is a lot of medication administered in a short amount of time and its important to pin point issue and also use a full dose versus half for effectiveness.
To proceed, please resubmit pics and assure tank glass and camera lens are clear.
Yes missed on the furan 2 I thought I had another pack, turns out I didn't and had already dosed the tank, and of course it's not avaliable. The GQ and prazi treatments were over a month ago. Fish have been in the QT for quite some time. I just started the medicated food yesterday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are tough to see, but they are the same size/location on both sides of the fish?

You should NOT mix kanamycin and Focus unless you calculate the dose properly (you'll need a gram scale). The proper dose is 50mg per kg of fish weight fed daily. You don't want to guess at the dose with this drug as an overdose can cause liver or kidney damage.

I don't know why this idea of mixing antibiotics in food keeps cropping up - the dosage is almost always wrong, and then, oral medications are not very effective against external bacterial infections. Kanamycin in the water would be a better way to go.

Jay

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are tough to see, but they are the same size/location on both sides of the fish?

You should NOT mix kanamycin and Focus unless you calculate the dose properly (you'll need a gram scale). The proper dose is 50mg per kg of fish weight fed daily. You don't want to guess at the dose with this drug as an overdose can cause liver or kidney damage.

I don't know why this idea of mixing antibiotics in food keeps cropping up - the dosage is almost always wrong, and then, oral medications are not very effective against external bacterial infections. Kanamycin in the water would be a better way to go.

Jay
What would be the proper way to dose the water? It's a 50 gallon tank?

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the proper way to dose the water? It's a 50 gallon tank?
1 scoop per 5 gallons?
Also do you recommend metro along with this?
Also as an update, fish eats fine ( I've actually been overfeeding) acts fine, swims fine no issues except for the spots on each side!

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same lesion on both sides of the fish? Are you sure this isn’t just the normal color change these go through?
Jay
Just not sure. It is odd that theyre the same on either side though! I have considered it as a possibility. The fish seems as healthy as can be. It has been in.my QT tank for over 3 months along with a convict. Both seem to be fine. I don't want to put the orange in my DT until I'm absolutely positive about its health. Just being so cautious about everything. Hoping the pictures were good enough this time for you to get a better look

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not sure. It is odd that theyre the same on either side though! I have considered it as a possibility. The fish seems as healthy as can be. It has been in.my QT tank for over 3 months along with a convict. Both seem to be fine. I don't want to put the orange in my DT until I'm absolutely positive about its health. Just being so cautious about everything. Hoping the pictures were good enough this time for you to get a better look
I’m not sure either. Parasites are rarely bilaterally symmetrical. Bacterial infections from an injury wouldn’t be unless the same injury happened on both the sides. Head and lateral line erosion is symmetrical, but not in this location and not on this species…
Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back