OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they swim out under bright light? Marine betta is almost always hide under shadow, is spotted drum the same?
Not really. The drum is a cruiser when the lights are bright. Moving hole to hole and around the rocks. You will see him glance surfaces with his chin "feeling" for worms and what not.

When the lights are lower though, they will hover above the structure and ride the currents.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. The drum is a cruiser when the lights are bright. Moving hole to hole and around the rocks. You will see him glance surfaces with his chin "feeling" for worms and what not.

When the lights are lower though, they will hover above the structure and ride the currents.

It sounds a perfect fish for reef. It's not deep water either. Why is it so rare in the hobby?

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds a perfect fish for reef. It's not deep water either. Why is it so rare in the hobby?
Because most of the ones collectors see are the smaller post larval ones. Ribbonlike and they can be fragile. The little ones also need blood worms and black worms to stimulate their appetite as worms are their primary food at this point. Because they can be fragile and acclimating them can be rough, many collectors avoid them.

Oliverhenry8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because most of the ones collectors see are the smaller post larval ones. Ribbonlike and they can be fragile. The little ones also need blood worms and black worms to stimulate their appetite as worms are their primary food at this point. Because they can be fragile and acclimating them can be rough, many collectors avoid them.
5 to 6 inches makes sense. Whenever I see videos they look like a massive fish. Until they swim next to a fox face or a sand goby and then you realise they aren't massive. Some lovely videos by the Dutch reefer on youtube about his experiences with them. Coupled with your experiences, feel a lot more confident about owning one.

This hobby is so addictive. Recently I have fallen in love with trochus snails. 5 days in and they are like little algae terminators. I wake up in the morning to a spotless tank now. Where does it all go....haha

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost bet if they threw in blood or black worms, it would devour them. Young spotted drum love worms.
Poor thing was in a tank with other fish for sale... gobies, damsels etc. Store worker threw in brine shrimp and mysis. The drum never had a chance to eat.

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor thing was in a tank with other fish for sale... gobies, damsels etc. Store worker threw in brine shrimp and mysis. The drum never had a chance to eat.
So sad. I really wish more collectors would bring them in...then again, i would probably go broke and have 50 tanks if there were more available.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From videos of reef dives, the spotted drums (Equetus punctatus) are one of my favorite fishes! They are too large, too rare, and too difficult for my current reef plans, though.

Your young one looks really nice!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all;

I went diving the on Sunday and caught a beautiful jack knife fish. For anyone unfamiliar, they are in the drum/croaker family. I used to catch these occasionally many years ago before reef tanks were successful. I currently have him in my refugium. I was interested in placing him in my main display, but was unsure if they are reef safe. One thing I do know from past experience, is that they are delicate and do not do well with aggressive tank mates . I have a hippo, yellow and purple tang, and don't know if these guys will pick at his fancy fins? Any info appreciated.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1382666112.559547.jpg
I posted this in October 2013 here on R2R. This one I believe is a spotted drum, I caught it in the same area as the jackknife I pictured and recently caught (Sept 2020). Since Oct.2013, I had not seen one, and I spend a lot of time, year round diving South Florida reefs. I would say these fish are not rare, just difficult to find on the reef. Most of the time I have found them while looking under coral heads for lobsters. Unlike other marine tropicals, they don’t swim out of their lairs much. Netting has always been simple, not evasive at all comparably. I ended up taking this fish to a LFS back in 2013. It died in the store before he could sell it unfortunately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in October 2013 here on R2R. This one I believe is a spotted drum, I caught it in the same area as the jackknife I pictured and recently caught (Sept 2020). Since Oct.2013, I had not seen one, and I spend a lot of time, year round diving South Florida reefs. I would say these fish are not rare, just difficult to find on the reef. Most of the time I have found them while looking under coral heads for lobsters. Unlike other marine tropicals, they don’t swim out of their lairs much. Netting has always been simple, not evasive at all comparably. I ended up taking this fish to a LFS back in 2013. It died in the store before he could sell it unfortunately.
Yep. That is a spotted drum. The problem with most LFS feeding regimens, is they generally involve mysis, silver sides or algae diets...these little drums are worm eaters and they need to be offered what they want to eat to get them going. Once they are past a certain point, they will devour anything.

I will say this, if you find another one or even many while you are diving...drop me a message. I will pack up, come meet you, buy dinner and chat about fish before i pay ya for them and boogie them back home lol

Cheers!

OP
OP
RC79ATC

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From videos of reef dives, the spotted drums (Equetus punctatus) are one of my favorite fishes! They are too large, too rare, and too difficult for my current reef plans, though.

Your young one looks really nice!
They really dont get that big in general and are not that difficult...it is sad that stigma sticks with them. Rare i can attest to for sure!

I would say that if you have a tank 100 gallons plus...if you find one give it a shot. Be ready with blood, black and tiny red wiggler worms and watch these guys steal your heart.

Cheers

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back