Spotted Mandarin Gender Identification

astrofish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I picked up a new spotted mandarin from my local LFS yesterday. They said it was a female, but after getting it home and taking a closer look, it looks like it might actually be a male (1st photo).
I already have another spotted mandarin (2nd photo), and I’m not sure if it’s male or female. Did I end up with two males? Ha!

IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_1811.jpeg
 
The one you have circled looks like a female to me.
 
Thank you! That’s reassuring to know. She actually bit the second one in the picture when I removed the separation wall, even though the second fish is slightly larger than her.

Do you think the second one is female as well? I’ve attached two clear pictures of the second spotted mandarin
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 22

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new