Spotted manderin (Synchiropus picturatus)

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday night just before lights out I caught my two spotted manderin courting and doing their maiting dance. I saw them spawn and collected as many eggs as I could just to see how fertile they where. About 25% of the eggs hatched and have lasted in the little glass jar I have them in. It looks like they still have a little bit of figuring out to do. In the mean time it looks like I should get my plankton cultures going.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It appears my female mandarin is gravid. Her belly is huge. Any idea how long this will last. It’s been quite some time but my pair haven’t done the pre-lights out dance. Thanks !!

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears my female mandarin is gravid. Her belly is huge. Any idea how long this will last. It’s been quite some time but my pair haven’t done the pre-lights out dance. Thanks !!

How tall is your tank? I had a pair of ruby reds that were spawning, but the female wouldn't release eggs because the tank wasn't tall enough for them to do their spawning dance... maybe this is the case?

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering when your mandarins mated how did u collect the eggs ?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happened with your eggs? Were you able to hatch? I’ve been breeding for the last year and a half. Would like to know more about mandrins. I’d really like to see how far you’ve gotten.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering when your mandarins mated how did u collect the eggs ?

You can build a simple pelagic egg collector. You’ll need to find where to get some aquaculture mesh. Visit MBIsite.org (marine breeding initiative) for info on DIY breeding projects. Search for pelagic egg collector. But a really simple one is as easy as using scissors, cutting pvc pipe and using a rubber band. Nothing complicated at all. Feel free to message me and I can send u info. I also have aquaculture mesh. A lot of various sizes. Let me know if you’d like some.

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a simple pelagic egg collector. You’ll need to find where to get some aquaculture mesh. Visit MBIsite.org (marine breeding initiative) for info on DIY breeding projects. Search for pelagic egg collector. But a really simple one is as easy as using scissors, cutting pvc pipe and using a rubber band. Nothing complicated at all. Feel free to message me and I can send u info. I also have aquaculture mesh. A lot of various sizes. Let me know if you’d like some.
So I haven't really done any thing with this pair yet outside of collecting eggs. I wanted to wait until after MACNA to do any thing they are fertile but that one spawn that I did collect was a poor one. I was able to get about 50 eggs but about 10 hatched. The link above shows my early progress but not much after that. Any egg collector would be much appreciated

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't really done any thing with this pair yet outside of collecting eggs. I wanted to wait until after MACNA to do any thing they are fertile but that one spawn that I did collect was a poor one. I was able to get about 50 eggs but about 10 hatched. The link above shows my early progress but not much after that. Any egg collector would be much appreciated

Ok. Well you’ll need to get set up with an MBIsite.org account. You’ll love it. A lot of info there. Hours of reading on many species. Plus people post their breeding sagas and there’s a scoring system where you earn points for this and that. But countme in to help. I had a mated pair, but one got sick and died. They’re fragile, the wild ones at least. But let me know. I have a ton of books, research etc to share

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Well you’ll need to get set up with an MBIsite.org account. You’ll love it. A lot of info there. Hours of reading on many species. Plus people post their breeding sagas and there’s a scoring system where you earn points for this and that. But countme in to help. I had a mated pair, but one got sick and died. They’re fragile, the wild ones at least. But let me know. I have a ton of books, research etc to share
Thanks! I'll have to checkout that site I've spent some time away from the hobby due to work but now in back and more motivated than ever to doing the thing that I love to do

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collected eggs tonight

Congratulations! So now what? I hatched yellow clown clown goby eggs last night and they’re still alive. I made a mistake though, so not sure how it will turn out. I had ordered Rotifers (both S and L strains). My previous cultures I had going both crashed, I believe from ciliates.
When I got the animals, I put each one in their own bucket of course, added the algae, then dumped some S rotifers into my larval tank with the eggs and didn’t bother to check under the microscope if they were labeled correctly and I had actually used the right strain. Well today I was checking the density of my cultures under my microscope when I noticed that they either were mislabeled or I screwed up when I landed the culuture buckets[emoji849]. Despite all this I’ve been able to keep them alive for now. I added the right rotifers to the larval tank and hope for the best. If they’re alive tomorrow it will mean that they’ve eaten. They’re only 1mm or less. I’ll have to get some microscope pics. I will be posting a thread with video of the hatchlings from today when I can upload. For now here’s the eggs. They’re on one of those tiny ceramic planter, like 2-3 inch diam. So I can see how small the eggs are. This is what they look like before hatching on the 4th incubation day. They’ll lay eggs every week, so I have lots of practice. I’ve not made past 2 DPH. Take some pics of your eggs. You’ll need photo evidence for your scores at MBIsite.org. PM your email so I can send u some PDFs with the collector and some others.
4533bde0b33f43daf87bcdd3b86ae2b4.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back