SPS and radion LED

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be getting bulbs and electricity for free.

Otherwise there's no way T5 stacks up in favor of LED.

Usually for the cost of one set of bulbs and maybe the years power bill you can build an LED fixture that is superior. And not that you would ever do it, but that means you could build and throw away an LED fixture every single year and still come out ahead of the costs of running T5.

Like you, I am not completely convinced of the superiority of one over the other, but LEDs win hands down on every other front and in my experience they are at least as good for color and growth even if they are not better.

LOL, I actually did get my MH bulbs for free. I have at least 18 XM bulbs sitting around.

In my situation it doesn't make sense to switch technology as electricity is relatively cheap in Michigan and replacing T5 bulbs for a 6 bulb unit is only around 130 a year.

My point being, if a person currently had say a 6-8 bulb T5 unit it wouldn't make sense to go to LED, even if all things were equal (growth, color) . But, I am basing this on electrical costs in my area and the cost of a $750 Radion. Right now it costs me $7.64 a month to run a 250W lighting unit at 8 hours a day.

Based on the cost of the Radion and what I currently have it would take about 3 years to recoupe my costs for something that isn't really going to improve the health or color of my corals. Thus it doesn't make any sense for me to switch over. I'd rather wait a few years for better tech.

I will agree that if one were starting fresh an LED unit would be ideal. With some T5 supplements. [emoji14]

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I actually did get my MH bulbs for free. I have at least 18 XM bulbs sitting around.

In my situation it doesn't make sense to switch technology as electricity is relatively cheap in Michigan and replacing T5 bulbs for a 6 bulb unit is only around 130 a year.

My point being, if a person currently had say a 6-8 bulb T5 unit it wouldn't make sense to go to LED, even if all things were equal (growth, color) . But, I am basing this on electrical costs in my area and the cost of a $750 Radion. Right now it costs me $7.64 a month to run a 250W lighting unit at 8 hours a day.

Based on the cost of the Radion and what I currently have it would take about 3 years to recoupe my costs for something that isn't really going to improve the health or color of my corals. Thus it doesn't make any sense for me to switch over. I'd rather wait a few years for better tech.

I will agree that if one were starting fresh an LED unit would be ideal. With some T5 supplements. [emoji14]

I reread your comment and wanted to state that yes, considering one can DIY an LED it may make more sense. I'm unsure as to what is involved with an LED DIY.

I am extremely curious to try LED and may end up doing so with the smaller reef I have setup. But, it wont be with a $750 unit. Perhaps I will look into a DIY option and see what I can come up with. I am always looking to tinker with something. :D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could build you one brand-new fixture each year for $130/yr though! :)

While I won't say it's "equivalent" either to a T5 fixture or a Radion, as it won't dim and won't have vanity red and greed emitters, etc.

I will say it'll grow corals, it'll be more efficient than 90% of commercial LED fixtures (as in not spilling light all over the room and not growing excess algae on the glass), it'll have more of a T5-like spread, and make em look good too!

I think the $750 fixture is a red herring.

Build one like mine...even if it's just for a frag tank or sump.

For the cost you can try it and hate it and not really lose much. It's just a handful of regular AC-powered bulbs at the core of it, so they could be repurposed or even sold to another reefer. It's about $15 per square foot of surface area you want to light....up to $30/sq ft if you elect for some fancier bulbs/features.

(In case that offer didn't just seem purely hypothetical: I'm not offering to build anyone a fixture, at any time. Probably ever. LOL. Definitely can help with design, though.)

sevens_up77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Leds because of long term cost of this technology. Led technology is catching up to what is needed, when it comes to "PUR" etc. Unfortunately alot of other Led manufactures neglect PUR or consider it #2 to PAR. If money wasn't a factor I would have a combo of T5 and MH(15K) my self. I base some of my opinions from the Data I have read from this link:http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

PS: If it works " for you" great but I say this with the Upmost Respect to All my fellow reefers etc out their. ( I Only want to help, NOT bash anyone on a personal level) When it comes to PUR your $100 chinese fixture does not cut it. Think about it this way,if it was that great than most everyone would be using them. Yes??? I know I would. Take Care All and thanks :D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
We are talking about Radions though not Chinese black boxes

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ffa2b740de7fb621fa52a917082120bc.jpg

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about Radions though not Chinese black boxes
Radions are superior to chinese black boxes hands down. I'm just NOT a fan of the Chinese black box led fixtures. IMO it is better to save more money and get something 1/2 way decent than one of those Chinese black boxes.

OP
OP
R

reefkev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!! I'm running two radions (xr 15 pros) over my 30 inch, 93 gallon cube.. I'm in the process of supplementing some t5s with them also.. I'll post when finished!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back