Sps bleaching

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe my monti cap is bleaching it is slowly losing its color everyday. I did a water change last night to make sure my parameters are all good test the water and my parmeters are:

salinty: 1.026
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: around 1
Nitrites: undetectable
Alk: 8.2
Calcium: 375
Magnesium: 1320

I have other sps in the tank but different locations I moved the monti down a little from the light my other sps is thriving and growing great do you think it’s getting too much light? I will get a picture once I am home. My lighting is a AI prime HD and I run on BRS preferred specs.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monti cap did the same thing. Every parameter was perfect after a few months of trying different stuff I switched salts back to reef crystals and colors quickly came back. I was using reef pro and I think they had a bad batch. Just another thing to look at in your tank

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm weird, I’m using Red Sea salt but it’s just weird that all my other corals are fine.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are around 1 is that high? And I will get a pic later when I get home at work currently lol

Around 1.0 ppm? Yes, that is very high.

Your lighting may be too high, or too low. What you really want to know is the PAR the coral,is receiving. Just telling us the light you are using doesn’t tell us much.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 1.0 ppm? Yes, that is very high.

Your lighting may be too high, or too low. What you really want to know is the PAR the coral,is receiving. Just telling us the light you are using doesn’t tell us much.
I will have to work on getting that down. I’m going to have to see if I can rent a par meter or something.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are around 1 is that high? And I will get a pic later when I get home at work currently lol

Did you mean .1? Target is between .03 -.09 depending on your setup, alkalinity and nutrient levels.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.1P and 1N is no issue... if you can detect either, then that is not going to be your problem.

Do you have access to a PAR meter? Prime do not put out a ton of light, so I would guess too little rather than too much, but no way to know without a measurement.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture?

How are the other corals doing? Sometimes corals suck at life, and trying to 'help' the one coral that is having a problem can cause you to make problems for all the other corals that weren't having a problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back