What is white fuzz on this monti?

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some corals from a reefer 3 days ago and put them on frag tank. All corals are doing fine. But, I just notice this monti with white fuzzy like slime on it. there was nothing two hours before the light turn off.

as you can see it’s in corner the light and flow is not intense. what is going on with this coral?

alk 8.7 dkh
Ca 420 ppm
MG 1320 ppm
phos 0.03
nitrate 5
ph 8.1 - 8.2

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A bit hard to tell but almost resembles hydroids to me in the video. Does it blow off the coral easily or does it look attached?

Upvote 0

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am just noticing how far the "slime" extends, could be a bacterial growth of some kind. Let's see what others say. Best of luck :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit hard to tell but almost resembles hydroids to me in the video. Does it blow off the coral easily or does it look attached?
I just tried after you have mentioned. I could blow the wavy slime but the white stings are attached.

Upvote 0

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do think the little fuzzy guys are hydroids. Not sure if there is a clearish slime in the background as well, still a bit hard to see that part. If so, I believe it would be a bacterial growth of some sort. I have had that in my sump a couple of years ago when the system was new. Not exactly sure what causes it but I'm guessing an imbalance in nutrients. This went away on it's own. Hopefully someone else can provide some insight as well :) Best of luck
@vetteguy53081 @fishguy242 @ISpeakForTheSeas @taricha :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got some corals from a reefer 3 days ago and put them on frag tank. All corals are doing fine. But, I just notice this monti with white fuzzy like slime on it. there was nothing two hours before the light turn off.

as you can see it’s in corner the light and flow is not intense. what is going on with this coral?

alk 8.7 dkh
Ca 420 ppm
MG 1320 ppm
phos 0.03
nitrate 5
ph 8.1 - 8.2

These are colonial hydroids and will need to be removed by taking the coral out and place in a container of tank water and GENTLY scrub off with a medium-firm toothbrush and return coral to tank thereafter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think the little fuzzy guys are hydroids. Not sure if there is a clearish slime in the background as well, still a bit hard to see that part. If so, I believe it would be a bacterial growth of some sort. I have had that in my sump a couple of years ago when the system was new. Not exactly sure what causes it but I'm guessing an imbalance in nutrients. This went away on it's own. Hopefully someone else can provide some insight as well :) Best of luck
@vetteguy53081 @fishguy242 @ISpeakForTheSeas @taricha :)
These are colonial hydroids and will need to be removed by taking the coral out and place in a container of tank water and GENTLY scrub off with a medium-firm toothbrush and return coral to tank thereafter
Thank you for your reply. I was looking on the forum and found this (Mesenterial filaments) it looks like what I got but not sure

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/montipora-pest-or-damage.865865/

Anyway I will scrub it clean tomorrow. And I just checked it again and 80% off it is gone. Weird :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Upvote 0

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I was looking on the forum and found this (Mesenterial filaments) it looks like what I got but not sure

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/montipora-pest-or-damage.865865/

Anyway I will scrub it clean tomorrow. And I just checked it again and 80% off it is gone. Weird :face-with-spiral-eyes:
I'm nearly certain these are just mesenterial filaments. Corals often produce slime. Corals also feed typically at lights out. Possible somwthing was irritating it. I wouldn't recommend taking it out of the tank and scrubbing it.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly certain these are just mesenterial filaments. Corals often produce slime. Corals also feed typically at lights out. Possible somwthing was irritating it. I wouldn't recommend taking it out of the tank and scrubbing it.
Filaments generally on outer perimeters but would be removed same way
Thank you for your help. I just woke up and checked it. It is super green and fine. I think it was feeding or defense mechanism.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back