Sps browning out suddenly

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your points. I was just pointing out that the swings happen based on ways we test for it.
Part of it is test, part of it is how PO4 reacts in the tank. It always binds and unbinds from rock, sand and other surfaces and it tries to reaches equilibrium with the water.
So best time to measure is once the equilibrium is reached. Also I try to collect water from same location and away from my tang bathroom location. Those buggers are particular where they do their business…

I used to chase my tail as well, I even had 4 different PO4 test kits…. Randy finally set me straight…

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over done the carbon dosing and experienced coral loss and browning out as well. My sps really did not care for it but my lps hated it or I wasn't doing it properly I know it can be a tricky thing. I dosed chemi clean in case of bacterial infection, large water change, and kept things stable and did dose anything. The tank bounced back pretty quick. Sorry about the losses always the worst. I would run an icp test to get a baseline as well.

Personally that alk swing isn't that crazy, I would look more toward the carbon dosing a swinging of nutrient levels do to the dosing and possible causing a bacterial issue.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the die off has stopped over the last week. Lost about 35% of the tank mostly sps. I still don’t know the cause but would say it was from my carbon dosing regiment, spawning of bristle works or something toxic from outside air.

I’ve started dosing carbon again but at 50% what I was doing before. I’ve also stated dosing zeofood plus but only half the dose and only twice a week.

I’ve seen a little PE in a couple sps but otherwise coloring and PE is nonexistent. I’ve lost all my ricordia but luckily my jawbreaker’s survived and have slowly started to open.

I’m guessing the tank will be back on track by august. The silver lining is I now have room to buy more corals ;) I’m going to wait another month before stocking anything.

B0CA1B54-EDDF-40B6-9693-562B4127465A.jpeg
72F3D4B4-17DD-4A6D-A84C-0321385E3D51.jpeg
7AA36B9D-63E8-42AD-9037-CAC77B26A567.jpeg
BCA8C15A-4595-4E9D-BAD3-A1628DDBECCE.jpeg
D872C7E3-8033-4281-A104-5C3AC00AEB31.jpeg
2ACB02BD-4498-45D7-AAAC-3B7FBB9DDB6E.jpeg
26012A5E-F89B-4E9A-93F3-66FA4F214D2B.jpeg

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news! It's very interesting you lost your all your ricordia! same thing happened to me. I had a beautiful rock covered and they slowly melted away over about a month even after I stopped carbon dosing. I had a few other mushrooms that survived but barely. Here is an old pic of that rock. My St Thomas mushrooms were very angry but survived.

they one pink green yuma survived.

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpeg
    IMG_2045.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the tank looked like before the crash. Best it’s ever been. And that’s with 3-4 weeks of carbon dosing.

Color and growth was amazing
A49D481F-7930-42AC-A79A-A30CF61860A0.jpeg
A61697E4-62DE-4236-87A4-FC985F6054ED.jpeg
C2069058-11C3-4757-A28B-28CF54ECD414.jpeg
8337E529-B2FF-438B-BAC3-7882640114DF.jpeg
A62F02A1-4637-4E00-8AAB-D5D5B99A268E.jpeg
C383DFEE-E05F-43F6-9E70-C38F9939EEBF.jpeg
FAE0C00C-7BC4-48E0-85D8-EB3413BDC9F0.jpeg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a UV on that tank ASAP. I don't think that you bottomed out your nutrients, an icp would tell you if its a heavy metal or and element out of wack, the combination of carbon dosing and disrupting sand could have released and proliferated a pathogen. I'm surprised that you didn't see dinos or cyano. A uv can wild help in this situation, and help very fast if it does.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a UV on that tank ASAP. I don't think that you bottomed out your nutrients, an icp would tell you if its a heavy metal or and element out of wack, the combination of carbon dosing and disrupting sand could have released and proliferated a pathogen. I'm surprised that you didn't see dinos or cyano. A uv can wild help in this situation, and help very fast if it does.
I hear ya. I’m running carbon and 30% water changes weekly. When the incident happened I did several WC in the week. Although an icp would tell me if there were heavy metals the treatment wouldn’t be any different then what I’m already doing.

It would be interesting to rule out the carbon dosing though.

I could see some Dino’s on the sand bed and the corals that died was covered in cyno and Dino but my live rock was unaffected. I don’t think ,y nutrients bottomed out.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I’m running carbon and 30% water changes weekly. When the incident happened I did several WC in the week. Although an icp would tell me if there were heavy metals the treatment wouldn’t be any different then what I’m already doing.

It would be interesting to rule out the carbon dosing though.

I could see some Dino’s on the sand bed and the corals that died was covered in cyno and Dino but my live rock was unaffected. I don’t think ,y nutrients bottomed out.

Water changes won't stop a fast growing bacteria, dinos being a prime example. Water changes make them worse, proper size UV wipes them out in 24-48 hours (the waterborne kind). Something to think about. Looking forward to seeing the tank bounce back. We all have our issues in this hobby sooner or later.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure ya mentioned it but did you run chemi clean? My bet would be on the carbon dosing. The things you're explaining are exactly what happened to me. My nutrients also never bottomed out". I would still say icp but you have a great point maybe with all the wc etc your reading wouldn't be as accurate. following along to watch tank bounce back:)

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not run chemi clean.

An interesting observation though, my alk consumption started to take off last week to the point I had to start dosing alk and kalk. At this point I was carbon dosing at half the amount.

When I did my water change on Sunday I also added coral snow with 3 drops of zeofood plus AND 1 drop of zeobak. Since this I’ve had zero alk consumption and had to turn off the alk ( which I did on Sunday)

I did not refrigerate the zeobak after opening and have refrained from using it since the crash until Sunday. Could this be the culprit

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe coral snow also will drop nutrients and cause parameters to bounce around. Those things are really made for ULNS which can be done as I have seen many beautiful tanks run that way but if your tank has been going great without carbon dosing and adding zeobak and all of sudden it crashes with coral snow and carbon dosing seems very suspicious. I was also dosing zeobak and coral snow went sideways I actually lost that holy grail torch as well in about 2 days and man did that thing stink even before it was dead.

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thought. I do have a second tank upstairs using the same water and food with no changes. I don’t carbon dose the second tank.
I had same problem for a few months after I changed the RODI now everything recovered nicely.Dont let the TDS fool you even it says 0.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Coral snow is something I’ve been doing for about a year with no negative effects along lanthanum chloride. Although this is the first time I did snow since the crash.

Since most of the damage is done. I’m going to stop with zeobak but continue with the snow and carbon dosing to see if there is an up tick. I will also dose zeofood plus twice a week at half the dose.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask :) why are you still continuing to carbon dose and use coral snow when you started seeing a comeback when you had discontinued? sorry I wish this wasn't via computer cause it sounds rude but im not trying just curious:)

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem for a few months after I changed the RODI now everything recovered nicely.Dont let the TDS fool you even it says 0.
It is time for a change out of filters which will be done this week. I just thought it was interesting that my ten gallon tank didn’t show any negative signs of health.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask :) why are you still continuing to carbon dose and use coral snow when you started seeing a comeback when you had discontinued? sorry I wish this wasn't via computer cause it sounds rude but im not trying just curious:)
No offense taken! It’s a great point and something I considered before starting again.

My tank was on idol and my nutrients were on the rise which was leading to muted coloration. When I started carbon dosing I saw immediate color improvement within two weeks and it kept getting better, until it didn’t.

My regiment was 1 ml of bacon balance daily, 3 drops of zeofood plus twice per week and 1 drop if zeobak per week. When I was on week 4 and dosing I reread the zero food plus directions I noticed I didn’t dose six drops daily for the first week of the month and then back down to two drops three times per week.

It was at the end of the first week of 6 drops per day when the tank started to crash.

With me cutting all dosing in half and not dosing any zeobak I feel I can get good results. We will see

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken! It’s a great point and something I considered before starting again.

My tank was on idol and my nutrients were on the rise which was leading to muted coloration. When I started carbon dosing I saw immediate color improvement within two weeks and it kept getting better, until it didn’t.

My regiment was 1 ml of bacon balance daily, 3 drops of zeofood plus twice per week and 1 drop if zeobak per week. When I was on week 4 and dosing I reread the zero food plus directions I noticed I didn’t dose six drops daily for the first week of the month and then back down to two drops three times per week.

It was at the end of the first week of 6 drops per day when the tank started to crash.

With me cutting all dosing in half and not dosing any zeobak I feel I can get good results. We will see
I see! I likely over did it as well. curious to see how things turn out keep us updated

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back