SPS Coloration with Triton

  • Thread starter Thread starter CMO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
1,685
Reaction score
1,773
Location
Nevada City
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using additional supplements with Triton to improve SPS coloration? Was thinking of starting to dose aminos with acropower, coral amino, etc. but wanted to see if other seasoned Triton users found this to help at all.

If I understand correctly the Triton method says that macro algae will naturally release aminos if left untouched through natural die-off when over grown / limited nutrients. However, I like to keep my cheato healthy and growing by nitrate dosing and trimming so not sure I'm getting this benefit. I originally let the algea take it's own course but boy does that get messy (in the sump but also clogging power heads and reactors with pieces of dead cheato).

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Is that mess really necessary or better than adding amino acids?
 
Is that mess really necessary or better than adding amino acids?

No way! I'm going to start dosing acropower weekly instead of letting my cheato overgrow and die off to provide aminos.
 
Amino acid dosing works, but make sure to add very little.
Many times the recommended dose is way too much!
 
I run Triton and dose aquaforest; kalium since test shows low potassium, vitality, energy, & aminos.

Been doing this for 2 months & I see colors starting to improve. Triton is in month 5.
 
Amino acid dosing works, but make sure to add very little.
Many times the recommended dose is way too much!

Good to know. What signs that might indicate an over dose of aminos?
 
I run Triton and dose aquaforest; kalium since test shows low potassium, vitality, energy, & aminos.

Been doing this for 2 months & I see colors starting to improve. Triton is in month 5.

What tests are you referring to for vitality, energy and aminos? Thanks
 
Good to know. What signs that might indicate an over dose of aminos?
Too much skimmate and algae on glasses.
I turn off the skimmer for a while when I dose aminos.
 
What tests are you referring to for vitality, energy and aminos? Thanks

I submitted water samples to Triton for the ICP test and received them back that I was lacking potassium.
 
The kalium I’m using is for the Potassium. The aminos are for the coloration.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new