SPS coral ID help

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m completely blanking on which type of sps this is. I want to say it’s cyphastrea but it’s too smooth so I feel like it might be leptoseris? Furthermore if anyone could put a name to it, it’s mostly green with purple spots, that would be great to know as well.

I don’t mean to pile on the questions, but there seem to be white patches starting to appear on it that you can kind of see in the picture, can anyone tell if it’s bleaching just from the photo? It’s in moderately high light and I want to ID it so I can better know what kind of lighting I should move it to because I’m worried that it may be starting to bleach.

Thanks for all your help

DB8F1ECB-04FD-41C1-8233-BE58D0E7A844.jpeg

OP
OP
W

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a lepto and I don't think it's a cyphastrea, but I'm drawing a blank as to what else it might be.
I don’t think it is either that’s just all I can think of, I just can’t figure it out

OP
OP
W

wmv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also whatever it is does it look like it’s starting to get bleached from too much light? It was under kessil a360’s but off to the side a bit and it’s under my Noo-Psyche k7 mini now and placed pretty high up. My blues peak at around 45%

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m completely blanking on which type of sps this is. I want to say it’s cyphastrea but it’s too smooth so I feel like it might be leptoseris? Furthermore if anyone could put a name to it, it’s mostly green with purple spots, that would be great to know as well.

I don’t mean to pile on the questions, but there seem to be white patches starting to appear on it that you can kind of see in the picture, can anyone tell if it’s bleaching just from the photo? It’s in moderately high light and I want to ID it so I can better know what kind of lighting I should move it to because I’m worried that it may be starting to bleach.

Thanks for all your help

DB8F1ECB-04FD-41C1-8233-BE58D0E7A844.jpeg
Definitely porites, this one’s polyps are retracted.

Here’s some of mine. Porites in my experience have deeper and more profound corallites than stylocoeniella. And the corallites are denser packed and have a more organised placement. As for care, I do believe there are some porites that require medium to lower light however all of mine are light lovers (i believe they are shallow water species). Like you really need to blast them with light and pummel them with flow for them to really take off. And a happy porites is a fuzzy porites. Sometimes it might extend “sweepers” as well similar to bernardporas. But not as long.

But to be safe start yours low and slowly raise it up. Just ensure it gets turbulent flow.

IMG_4466.jpeg IMG_4477.jpeg IMG_4480.jpeg IMG_4484.jpeg IMG_4476.jpeg IMG_4478.jpeg IMG_4468.jpeg IMG_4464.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back