SPS Coral ID please?

jnschlesinger

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2013
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
Woodland Hills, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_2786.jpg

I have had this for more than a year with virtually zero growth. I need to figure out what it is before I can figure out why it doesn't grow. All my water levels are optimum and everything else is growing rapidly. I'm at a loss, please help.
 
Branching Hydnophora. It's sometimes called Horn Coral but it comes in a plating growth form as well.
 
Why do you think it not growing? It is on the top 2/3 of my aquascape under my G2 Radions with plenty of cross current and flow. CA 420 / KH 8.96 / Mag 1320 / Phos 0.02 / Nit <5

All other SPS, LPS and softies are flourishing.
 
This coral is a very active eater, acting more like an LPS in that regard, so feed it. Introduce food, give the coral a while to show a feeding response than target feed it. An FYI, Hydnophora is one of the most aggressive corals I have ever owned, once it goes into attack mode the victim coral has to be moved or it will be dead. The stinging Mesenterial Filaments can get over a foot long in the right current.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new