SPS Corals using other species’ skeletons?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals sometimes die off and regrow, they don’t build a new skeleton they just ‘resurrect’ the dead one. Has anyone heard of any cases of say for instance, a montipora being close to a dead stylophora, and colonizing it’s skeleton?
I have a montipora and stylophora skeleton and I know the idea sounds crazy but should I try it? Does it sound possible?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea to try....that's how great inventions are made.
my guess would be that it would over the skeleton much like how the sps encrust over rocks.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have a green slimer that has merged into a garden bonsai and a deep water acro. And I have a bubblegum digi that looks like it’s about to merge with a red cap. The montiporas have my attention right now. I’m curious if they will graft together. Should be interesting.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have a green slimer that has merged into a garden bonsai and a deep water acro. And I have a bubblegum digi that looks like it’s about to merge with a red cap. The montiporas have my attention right now. I’m curious if they will graft together. Should be interesting.
Amazing!!! I’ll have to look into getting some more coral skeletons

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s totally possible. They overgrow ( encrust) the skeleton, not re colonize it. I blew away some guys at the lfs trading in some “branching” rainbow montipora. simply an encruster that took over and killed an Acro Millepora section of a 20” colony.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the GHA, been fighting dino cyno GHA for a couple months now it is settled to just GHA so I am letting the cleanup crew eventually just get to it.

This monti decided to like my fox flame that I lost in the dino battle.

mf.JPG

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the GHA, been fighting dino cyno GHA for a couple months now it is settled to just GHA so I am letting the cleanup crew eventually just get to it.

This monti decided to like my fox flame that I lost in the dino battle.

mf.JPG
No problem mine was worse lol. And that’s pretty cool!!! I wonder if I could grow something on a Staghorn skeleton

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals sometimes die off and regrow, they don’t build a new skeleton they just ‘resurrect’ the dead one. Has anyone heard of any cases of say for instance, a montipora being close to a dead stylophora, and colonizing it’s skeleton?
I have a montipora and stylophora skeleton and I know the idea sounds crazy but should I try it? Does it sound possible?
This is how I frag my porites. Sincd they grow thick club like branches which makes it hard to frag with a bone cutter. I would snip away abit of the top and glue an acropora skeleton (i would buy some dead corals from the lfs) and let it encrust.

Attachments

• 1F91CD1C-195F-4BCB-A0BF-1C4FF0E13248.jpeg
    1F91CD1C-195F-4BCB-A0BF-1C4FF0E13248.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 31
  • E7E3D39C-60A5-4365-8C35-690A52113852.jpeg
    E7E3D39C-60A5-4365-8C35-690A52113852.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 24

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back