SPS Corals using other species’ skeletons?

Twink_w_a_Reef

Just a twink and his reef
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
2,390
Reaction score
5,756
Location
ATL BAYBAYYY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals sometimes die off and regrow, they don’t build a new skeleton they just ‘resurrect’ the dead one. Has anyone heard of any cases of say for instance, a montipora being close to a dead stylophora, and colonizing it’s skeleton?
I have a montipora and stylophora skeleton and I know the idea sounds crazy but should I try it? Does it sound possible?
 
Cool idea to try....that's how great inventions are made.
my guess would be that it would over the skeleton much like how the sps encrust over rocks.
 
Absolutely. I have a green slimer that has merged into a garden bonsai and a deep water acro. And I have a bubblegum digi that looks like it’s about to merge with a red cap. The montiporas have my attention right now. I’m curious if they will graft together. Should be interesting.
 
Absolutely. I have a green slimer that has merged into a garden bonsai and a deep water acro. And I have a bubblegum digi that looks like it’s about to merge with a red cap. The montiporas have my attention right now. I’m curious if they will graft together. Should be interesting.
Amazing!!! I’ll have to look into getting some more coral skeletons
 
It’s totally possible. They overgrow ( encrust) the skeleton, not re colonize it. I blew away some guys at the lfs trading in some “branching” rainbow montipora. simply an encruster that took over and killed an Acro Millepora section of a 20” colony.
 
Excuse the GHA, been fighting dino cyno GHA for a couple months now it is settled to just GHA so I am letting the cleanup crew eventually just get to it.

This monti decided to like my fox flame that I lost in the dino battle.

mf.JPG
 
Excuse the GHA, been fighting dino cyno GHA for a couple months now it is settled to just GHA so I am letting the cleanup crew eventually just get to it.

This monti decided to like my fox flame that I lost in the dino battle.

mf.JPG
No problem mine was worse lol. And that’s pretty cool!!! I wonder if I could grow something on a Staghorn skeleton
 
Corals sometimes die off and regrow, they don’t build a new skeleton they just ‘resurrect’ the dead one. Has anyone heard of any cases of say for instance, a montipora being close to a dead stylophora, and colonizing it’s skeleton?
I have a montipora and stylophora skeleton and I know the idea sounds crazy but should I try it? Does it sound possible?
This is how I frag my porites. Sincd they grow thick club like branches which makes it hard to frag with a bone cutter. I would snip away abit of the top and glue an acropora skeleton (i would buy some dead corals from the lfs) and let it encrust.
 

Attachments

  • 1F91CD1C-195F-4BCB-A0BF-1C4FF0E13248.jpeg
    1F91CD1C-195F-4BCB-A0BF-1C4FF0E13248.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 92
  • E7E3D39C-60A5-4365-8C35-690A52113852.jpeg
    E7E3D39C-60A5-4365-8C35-690A52113852.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 79

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new