Using other corals to make a barrier for encrusting sps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mebbid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mebbid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2017
Messages
499
Reaction score
463
Location
Jackson, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm eyeballing a few different encrusting montipora, but don't really want them taking over too much rock work. Is it possible or even recommended to use some other corals such as a hammer to create barriers that they can't grow past due to the stinging?
 
Folks have tried if you spend some time looking up old threads on "coral warfare". IMO results are going to be too unpredictable, but it might still be worthy experiment depending on your situation.
 
Monti vs Acro - usually the acro wins and the monti just kinda grows around it or they stalemate. Montis will typically spread faster than the acro and then you are stuck with a very fast growing monti and the acro can't base.

I made this mistake. Wish I didn't now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new