SPS corals with amazing "glow" under actinics

eskymick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than on weekends, it seems most of my reef observation time is in the evening. With that in mind, I’d like to ask the members of the forum which SPS corals do you find offer the most “glow” under actinic lighting? I’d like to build my SPS collection with those recommendations in mind.

Of course, photographic evidence and coral names are always appreciated.

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RR Event Horizon is one of my favorites in my tank. long green "polyps" with a super sweet gold/orange/yellow skeleton.

0XJCdcw4QwaJzsX3rg0tqQ.jpg

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
under actinic lighting?.

I tried and tried and tried for years to get that "Glow" from my corals. All sorts of T5 combinations and even bought some "Blue" Led's to enhance the pop. I could get a pretty cool look at night, it was neat but not mind blowing and never really blew me away.

I got a PM one day from another user and it was a game changer. Nothing in my years of experience has ever done what this can do. Nothing made a quicker impact on the way my corals looked and how they colored up in a rather short period of time. The cost was out of my budget but I saved and I can't tell you have glad I am that I did. You want to enjoy corals at night..... Get one of these in blue only http://www.reefbrite.com/product/xho/ EDD83DCE-8A4F-4117-8219-2A9626EFE196.jpeg 9AFA286F-C2FF-4802-98E6-DB21D237C589.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80% of my sps glow pretty nicely under my low power 430 led light bar and I have just your standard corals nothing crazy or high end.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some nice, cheaper and fairly hardy SPS that just grow fantastic in my tank and really glow under actinic are Orange and Forest Fire Digitatas as well as the Setosas. Their ability to really pop and on a fairly reasonable price point and hardiness.... works well.
Also, Lepto's like 24K , Toxic Spill, Hulk, JF jack'o and Lethal. Fairly inexpensive corals that pop. Just watch out because they grow pretty fast and can be aggressive.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a coincidence, I was just thinking about starting a thread asking for fluorescent acros particularly.

I run heavy blues, and with only a 10g nano space is at a premium so I like to have a list of specific corsls I want to add.

So far I'm looking to add a walt disney, then depnding on how it colors in my tank maybe 1 or 2 of the other bright tenuis like the orange passions, lady in pink, etc if I think they won't look to similar to the Walt.

Pink Floyd is a must imo. WWC after party, and the pikachu are very similar but the floyd seems like the best bet to me in regards to price vs odds of really coloring up.

ASD rainbow milli seems like a winner, but I'd like to see it in person.

I'm also looking at the bubble bath unicorn, but would like to see realistic blue pics.

Then there's a couple of Deepwaters I'm interested in because the have fluorescent coralites/polyps. The wwc little red Ferrari and Jason fox ice dragon.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Visually under heavy blue LED lighting, orange, green, yellow will stand out more.

Purple, red and blue will be subdued.

In essence due to the cones in our eye's the more blue(dark) the less we will see all colors pop at the same level.

lumunus function of the eye.gif

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried and tried and tried for years to get that "Glow" from my corals. All sorts of T5 combinations and even bought some "Blue" Led's to enhance the pop. I could get a pretty cool look at night, it was neat but not mind blowing and never really blew me away.

I got a PM one day from another user and it was a game changer. Nothing in my years of experience has ever done what this can do. Nothing made a quicker impact on the way my corals looked and how they colored up in a rather short period of time. The cost was out of my budget but I saved and I can't tell you have glad I am that I did. You want to enjoy corals at night..... Get one of these in blue only http://www.reefbrite.com/product/xho/ EDD83DCE-8A4F-4117-8219-2A9626EFE196.jpeg 9AFA286F-C2FF-4802-98E6-DB21D237C589.jpeg

In my own experience I have also seen a big difference between blue LEDs. Aquatic Life in New Canaan, CT uses an Aquatic Life Hybrid with LEDs (I forget the type) on their frag tank display, but the point is I have several of the same corals both zoas and SPS that in my tank glow well, but in their display not so much. I have an ATI Powermodule and in the evenings I run just the blue LEDs. I will try to get a picture tonight.

I'm interested in this thread because I'd like to find some yellow and/or green zoas to add.

I also agree with the inexpensive coral comment. The nicest looking colony in my tank under LEDs only is good 'ole hardy orange digitata. The colony simply glows like crazy.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my own experience I have also seen a big difference between blue LEDs. Aquatic Life in New Canaan, CT uses an Aquatic Life Hybrid with LEDs (I forget the type) on their frag tank display, but the point is I have several of the same corals both zoas and SPS that in my tank glow well, but in their display not so much. I have an ATI Powermodule and in the evenings I run just the blue LEDs. I will try to get a picture tonight.

I'm interested in this thread because I'd like to find some yellow and/or green zoas to add.

I also agree with the inexpensive coral comment. The nicest looking colony in my tank under LEDs only is good 'ole hardy orange digitata. The colony simply glows like crazy.
Try some LA lakers for Yellow and Dragon eye’s for Green. A cheap easy, fast growing Red Zoa are Bam Bams.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walt Disney
961210D8-EC7A-44CE-B07C-ED205741F87B.jpeg

JF Anacropora
853AAE98-8B14-4BF2-9DE6-D704E3D57BEF.jpeg

JF burning banana horrible picture

98EFF789-B35F-45DE-AC0A-3195AD5B34F9.jpeg

Sexy’s OP
833B0892-50C3-45BE-A06C-035065133581.jpeg

WWC Kung pow monti
BA57E467-E351-4B29-9316-13C1234F25EE.jpeg

Freak of Nature tenius
C58B4011-EADF-48E4-8853-FDE4A695882D.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are lighting most any coral well the rest of the time, they will glow under actinic or blue LEDs. They need the color that they develop under different spectrums - the actinic and LEDs just illuminate it.

I think people really look over this fact these days. Most people assume a coral should glow the same no matter what lighting they have it under.
The most fluorescent corals i have seen were all lit with t5 with lots of white bulbs and a few halide tanks with good strong bulbs. The corals looked amazing under just reefbrites at night.
I have seen many led tanks and t5 tanks that light the corals all day with blues only and the bright neon look at night was nowhere near the other tanks.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultivated Reef has this Hairy Green Monster acro that is very bright and has great movement and huge polyp extension. They are very well priced, this picture does not do it justice no filters added

90BD4D6D-9B3D-4C4C-A039-FF64F0531ED5.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back