Sps Dead? Or Can Recover?

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of my sps is completely white with burnt tips. Looks like there isn’t any flesh on it, however, there is also no algae growing on it. Usually when I see dead sps, it brown algae will grow on or around it. It’s been like this for a couple weeks. Anyone ever have a coral bounce back from this state?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my sps is completely white with burnt tips. Looks like there isn’t any flesh on it, however, there is also no algae growing on it. Usually when I see dead sps, it brown algae will grow on or around it. It’s been like this for a couple weeks. Anyone ever have a coral bounce back from this state?
Sounds dead. no flesh = RTN

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on when it died. If just recently, maybe not yet. If it stays like that, it might not be dead. Buddy of mine has a ghost white acro that you'd swear is dead. But its alive: white flesh, white polyps, growing. It's just a white on white acro that looks like skeleton, dude is no noob either, just how it is. And it's not paled out... it just has NO color but white.

DuckSlayer627

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has flesh it possible for it to recover. In August of last year(2018) my chiller malfunctioned while I was out of town and brought temperature down to 65 degrees in about 12-18 hrs. Tank was mostly Acro's with some other SPS. Most of the colonies did die but a few were completely white and looked like stuff you would buy in a gift shop. After 6-8 weeks they started to color back up and today they are just as nice as ever .
thumbnail_IMG_9454.png
thumbnail_PC100927.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9455.png
thumbnail_PC100953 (1).jpg

Here are two examples. The bleached pics are from about a week after the tank was 65 degrees and the other pictures are the same coral that I took yesterday.

Last edited:

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the cause and how far gone it is. My new tank I had to move pieces over from my old tank as it needed to be shutdown. The meant going into an environment with different flow, lighting, nutrients, bacteria etc.

First thing to do if it is a colony is break off good sections and frag them as it can spread. Look for polyp extension on bleached bits. I was successful in bringing back the frags once they were used to the new conditions. and some bleached areas recovered as the polyps were still out.

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see necrosis it wont , until then chances are it might survive but feed him

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back