Sps dominant RSR 170 lighting

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Sps dominant RSR 170 with a reef flare pro s on it at the moment, the lights really sweet, (lowkey don't even need to upgrade) but soon I'm deciding between upgrading to a reefi uno 2.0 pro or just getting a aquatic life t5 hyrbid fixture with 2 coral plus bulbs and 2 plus bulbs and keeping the same reef flare. ive also got the Australian brand Illumagic in my mind too, especially the Illumagic x4 (would be nice to support a local Australian brand). And yes Raidions yes yes industry standard i know i know, if all goes wrong i might buy one Dont worry. ive also heard good things about the Neptune sky (except their build quality as i saw on March's channel Fragbox Corals) and the Philps Coral care (dad used to work with philps and is edging me to buy one).

if you guys have any light recommendations send them through (except AI ive had enough of their melting lenses and loud fans).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a different light if it will simply stress the coral out?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best Acropora tanks run by LED that I have ever seen use ReefBreeders. Check out Thermans threads. These are

If you use puck style, then plan on 2x the recommended units unless you use those 4x T5s.

I don't argue about brands anymore, so good luck. However, I would go with "strong performance record" over "look sweet" since new products on the market have been known to disappoint.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just add the T5's and do 3 blue+ and one coral or purple+. But if you want one fixture, then get one that covers the entire tank, otherwise you'll need multiple fixtures to cover the tank. Acropora need a lot of coverage or you get funky growth and shading. The Coral Care may be the way to go.

OP
OP
S

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best Acropora tanks run by LED that I have ever seen use ReefBreeders. Check out Thermans threads. These are

If you use puck style, then plan on 2x the recommended units unless you use those 4x T5s.

I don't argue about brands anymore, so good luck. However, I would go with "strong performance record" over "look sweet" since new products on the market have been known to disappoint.
when i said the reef flare is sweet i didnt only mean the looks, its been extremely reliable, the app is great, grows and colors acros like no light ive used before (except t5s) and the fan is dead silent. i do value a strong performance record over anything any day.

if im not mistaken Thermans using photons?

OP
OP
S

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add the T5's and do 3 blue+ and one coral or purple+. But if you want one fixture, then get one that covers the entire tank, otherwise you'll need multiple fixtures to cover the tank. Acropora need a lot of coverage or you get funky growth and shading. The Coral Care may be the way to go.
yes i think the most promising option may be the t5 hybrid, Ive used them in the past and the only thing i don't enjoy about them is switching the bulbs yearly.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i said the reef flare is sweet i didnt only mean the looks, its been extremely reliable, the app is great, grows and colors acros like no light ive used before (except t5s) and the fan is dead silent. i do value a strong performance record over anything any day.

if im not mistaken Thermans using photons?

Just for fun

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back