Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_IMG_9454.png
PC100927.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_9455.png
PC100953.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_9458.png
PC100903.JPG

Here are some before and after of the same corals. I took these new pics this week. So a little more than a year later and now they are rockin' and rollin'.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! Any idea how long it was down at 65 for? Mine couldnt have been more then 1 day at most before I got home and it had to be a pretty slow decline (at least I hope on that slow decline) so it could have actualy been at 68 for less then 24 hours.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure. If your SPS we’re already stressed by things like high nitrates, fluctuating alk then a temp drop could be the last straw. If they were not stressed then there’s likely to be no affect. Keep an eye out for bleaching. I had a temp event

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to say for sure. If your SPS we’re already stressed by things like high nitrates, fluctuating alk then a temp drop could be the last straw. If they were not stressed then there’s likely to be no affect. Keep an eye out for bleaching. I had a temp event

everything was doing great so I am hoping I lose only a couple if any at all.

DuckSlayer627

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Any idea how long it was down at 65 for? Mine couldnt have been more then 1 day at most before I got home and it had to be a pretty slow decline (at least I hope on that slow decline) so it could have actualy been at 68 for less then 24 hours.
I have my thermostat set at 80 degrees and the chiller will drop it about 1 degree an hour. So from 80-65 prob. about 12-15 hours. When I got home and found the tank like this, the chiller was still running and some kind of way the thermostat was set at 55 degrees. I'm sure if I would have been gone one more day it would have just continued to pull the temp down and everything would have been dead. To this day I still have no idea how it reset itself to the default temp of 55. It was on the tank for over 3 years set at 80 and even with power outages and moving the tank(chiller was unplugged for many hours) and the thermostat always stayed at 80. Since this happened over a year ago it's been set at 80 and it's never had a problem again.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have my thermostat set at 80 degrees and the chiller will drop it about 1 degree an hour. So from 80-65 prob. about 12-15 hours. When I got home and found the tank like this, the chiller was still running and some kind of way the thermostat was set at 55 degrees. I'm sure if I would have been gone one more day it would have just continued to pull the temp down and everything would have been dead. To this day I still have no idea how it reset itself to the default temp of 55. It was on the tank for over 3 years set at 80 and even with power outages and moving the tank(chiller was unplugged for many hours) and the thermostat always stayed at 80. Since this happened over a year ago it's been set at 80 and it's never had a problem again.

Yeah that is really weird, I am glad everything has rebounded as much as possible. one good thing, I have not touched the alk going into the tank and the level is still going down so I know the corals are still consuming a good amount of alk. I was about to up it on thursday, good thing I didnt yet. I have a KHG thats how I know its still consuming a good amount

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is everything doing?

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro.. you will be fine.. also if you don’t have an apex get a ranco temp co troller they are like $45 and are superior for temp control

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never finished my thought .... had a temp event many years ago. Dropped to 60 ish for a few days. Most of the SPS bleached and then the powerful lights killed them. If you do get any bleaching turn the lights down for a while.

Also, for those extolling the virtues of apex .... there are things it can help to prevent, but there are also things it cannot ... particularly if you’re out of town.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back