SPS Dominated 47G Reef

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at end of 2010, I setup this same exact tank...due to one reason or another...I ended up have to restart my tank or shut down the tank. The past 3 years of reefkeeping have been quite difficult for me. - Just been unlucky. :facepalm:

Anyway, here are the specs:
47G Optiwhite (on 3 sides) 30L x 20D x 18H
DSC_5740.jpg

ATI Sunpower modded with Cree Royal Blue and Blue LED's.
T5 tube combo Front to back:

ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
Cree Royal Blue (x20) + Cree Blue(x4) @ 24watts
ATI Blue+
ATI Purple+
ATI True Actinic

Shot of the light (old photo)
DSC_5849.jpg

Looks very like the Radium 20K/Phoenix14K look in appearance. No way as blue or dim as say the Reeflux 12K.

Anyway, here are a few photos.

Got this as green/yellow. Does have yellowish polyps. Over many months the new growth is coming up with blue tips.
DSC_9984_zps5b096568.jpg

Was brown when I first got it. Colouring up nicely, but I think it requires more light...oh well.
DSC_9998_zps5e845e00.jpg

Sold to me as SSC...clearly not, But was cheap anyway.
DSC_9988_zpsbc7275ac.jpg

One of my favorite. Was less than 1cm about about 5 months ago. The tips are more Royal Blue, but the camera doesnt seem to pick up the rich Royal Blue tips. Beautiful coral!
DSC_9967_zpsfc1128f9.jpg

This was COMPLETELY turd brown when I got it. At one point I thought I had AEFW's and completely dipped the crap out of it. Colouring up nicely. One of the most INTENSE pink I've ever had in a coral. The base is actually green towards the lower light areas. This sits 3inches below the waterline and this is the best shot I can manage. Receives at least 350 PAR at peak.
DSC_9978_zpsfec8d479.jpg

Only been in my tank 1 week. Crazy green colour with almost yellowish polyps. The tissue surface looks like frogs skin!
DSC_9963_zps3e8ef344.jpg

Echinata I think. Love this one even if it isnt. Been in the tank only 1 week and already colouring up! This one makes me happy.
DSC_9961_zps1eb1c474.jpg

Since I have a bare bottom tank, I bought these Zoas for cheap. Dont ask me what they are, I dont know LOL. I liked that there was two kinds...if you look closely, there are some rainbowish ones in there as well.
DSC_9956_zps8082eec7.jpg

Red Millepora. I actually desaturated the colour a little...its got slightly deeper/darker colour.
DSC_9843_zpsf310ba80.jpg

More Zoas. I am slightly disappointed with these. I thought they would be hot pink...but their just ordinary. Nothing special LOL.
DSC_9827_zps41104e3c.jpg

My ONLY non branching SPS. Hasnt coloured up well at all. Person I got the frag from has much better colour. Do I need to place it higher?
DSC_0052_zpsea5e46f5.jpg

Fast grower. Already fragged twice. The colour is getting better slowly. Gets 150 PAR max at peak.
DSC_0041_zpsd9be5474.jpg

This has TRUE yellow tips. No green in it at all.
DSC_0058_zps75187ce9.jpg

This was 98% brown just a week ago. Its growing fast and has already coloured up many of the smaller branches. This is a SPECIAL coral. I have high hopes that this will turn into a stunner.
DSC_0048_zps27dd5398.jpg

Cyphastrea. Picked up a week ago. Nice colours on it, but its TINY! Less than 2cm LOL
DSC_0076_zps58dc3d6f.jpg

So hard to find Tort in the UK. Had this for over 6 months. Cant get a good shot of it though.
DSC_0036_zps0fc7b287.jpg

This green Millepora has the deepest and brightest green I've ever seen. Literally glows!
DSC_0020_zps2550cb72.jpg

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another of my favorite. It has pink corralites edges (not sure if that is correct term), with blue tips and a lime green polyps. Cant capture the colours well. Was brown when I first got it. Has a long way to go yet.
DSC_0021_zps45db797d.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea. Was pale brown when I saw it in the LFS with no other colour. Growing nicely.
DSC_0040_zps5c7bfc68.jpg

My only clam. Used to be into clams big time years ago. Looking for a nice Crocea now. All I see is Maximas in the UK these days.
DSC_0013_zpse94920d2.jpg

Sapphire Millepora. My SLOWEST growing SPS. Had this about a year now. It only managed to just about double in size. Dont see many of these.
DSC_0017_zps4c0c22e0.jpg

Nice blue tips on this. Doesnt look that nice when viewed from front of tank, but looks pretty nice from above.
DSC_0003_zps3789800b.jpg

I was hoping this would red in colour...but its an ugly brick red. But has very bright green centres. Bought to cover the bare bottom.
DSC_0014_zps2aebadb9.jpg

This SSC was intensely coloured when I first got it. Browned out on me. But in the past month or so, it is putting out these HOT PINKY RED tips. Cant wait to see what this looks like in 6 months. I have a different SSC from another source which is a wild variety...that one is still pale brown.
DSC_0008_zpsd95de253.jpg

This is a new frag and doesnt look like much, but I have high hope this will be very nice.
DSC_0019_zps27ae08ca.jpg

Here are 3 FLASH only shots (NO T5's or LED's). The flash colour on my Nikon D70 is yellow, but note the coral colours without the tanks light. The colours are permanent; not an effect of the T5/LED lighting. The only colours that wont show this way are those which are fluorescent ie green.
DSC_9923_zps7289bc0b.jpg

DSC_9919_zps4a3711c2.jpg

DSC_9922_zpsa5ba1095.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos. There wont be an FTS because my tank is like frag city. I have around 40 SPS frags stuffed into this 47G tank. At some point I will remove the less nicer ones to allow the better coloured SPS to grow out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very very nice! Keep us updated!

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck ya man nice glad to see some of your stuff! Your photos are amazing wish I knew how to take pics like that. Do you use a macro lens?

Nice score on that smooth yellow piece!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very nice! Keep us updated!
Thanks Rev. Will definitely update regularly.

Nice tank and nicer animals! Can we get a full frontal?
Thanks. Soon as the frags grown a bit I will post an FTS. Combine FRAG CITY and BARE BOTTOM and it doesnt look very nice at the moment.

Heck ya man nice glad to see some of your stuff! Your photos are amazing wish I knew how to take pics like that. Do you use a macro lens?

Nice score on that smooth yellow piece!
Thanks! I use the Tamron 90mm Macro lens on my ancient almost 10 years old Nikon D70 DSLR.

Ah-maizing
Haha, thanks!

Glad you liked. :)

still would be cool to see a FTS so we can get an idea of what your scape looks like
I know...but with the tank full of frags and a bare bottom tank things look ugly right now. Growth has really taken off in the past couple of weeks. I can see new growth on some corals every day...either encrusting growth or new growth on the tips.

Quite amazing when things fall into place. :bigsmile:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank and great pictures. You have a knack for capturing the beauty of coral and posting it for all of us to see. You should be proud of your wok.

I especially love the piece below. The purplish streaks in the skin toward the base of the coral are really unique. And the bright green base with yellow polyps is a winner for sure.

Only been in my tank 1 week. Crazy green colour with almost yellowish polyps. The tissue surface looks like frogs skin!
DSC_9963_zps3e8ef344.jpg

Any updates on this tank?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My ONLY non branching SPS. Hasnt coloured up well at all. Person I got the frag from has much better colour. Do I need to place it higher?"

I had an undata that was about 6" below the surface under Vega colors and I was getting pretty good colors on it.

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice bro awsome tank .
I have similar size tank soon to get wet.

I guess its time for a full tank shot

cuzican76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are awsome sps man .....I'm starting a bare bottom sps my self and u got any tips or advice I'd gladly appreciate. It ...I can't really find a lot of people on you tube that have bare bottom tanks explaining thier setups ...I've been doing this for about 3 years but just now getting comfortable about doing sps and dumping some money in a really nice tank

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank and great pictures. You have a knack for capturing the beauty of coral and posting it for all of us to see. You should be proud of your wok.

I especially love the piece below. The purplish streaks in the skin toward the base of the coral are really unique. And the bright green base with yellow polyps is a winner for sure.

Any updates on this tank?

Thanks for the compliment.

I will post updated photos in the new year. Will be around mid Jan...I am just so busy until then with work and family and festivities etc. I do like the texture of that piece for sure.

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish? Can we see your sump, equipment?

Here is a shot of the sump area when the tank was new:
DSC_5758.jpg

I just have the return pump, the Bubble Magus NAC6 skimmer and a Phosban reactor with GFO in it. Thats it. Nothing else in the sump. I take the simple approach to reefkeeping and thats how I prefer it.

The rest of the equipment is:

ATI 8x24watt T5 + LED Powermodule
GHL Triple Doser: dosing Fauna Marin Balling Lite
GHL Profilux PII EX Controller
Tunze Osmolator
2x Ecotech MP10's
Eheim 1250 return pump.

Thats it. :)

Fishwise I have:

4x Green Chromis
2x Perc Clowns
1x Bangai Cardinal
1x Bloodshrimp

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back