SPS Dominated 47G Reef

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all gorgeous sps,hopefully by the end of this thread they'll be full blown colonies.
Another of my favorite. It has pink corralites edges (not sure if that is correct term), with blue tips and a lime green polyps. Cant capture the colours well. Was brown when I first got it. Has a long way to go yet.
DSC_0021_zps45db797d.jpg

Branching Cyphastrea. Was pale brown when I saw it in the LFS with no other colour. Growing nicely.
DSC_0040_zps5c7bfc68.jpg

My only clam. Used to be into clams big time years ago. Looking for a nice Crocea now. All I see is Maximas in the UK these days.
DSC_0013_zpse94920d2.jpg

Sapphire Millepora. My SLOWEST growing SPS. Had this about a year now. It only managed to just about double in size. Dont see many of these.
DSC_0017_zps4c0c22e0.jpg

Nice blue tips on this. Doesnt look that nice when viewed from front of tank, but looks pretty nice from above.
DSC_0003_zps3789800b.jpg

I was hoping this would red in colour...but its an ugly brick red. But has very bright green centres. Bought to cover the bare bottom.
DSC_0014_zps2aebadb9.jpg

This SSC was intensely coloured when I first got it. Browned out on me. But in the past month or so, it is putting out these HOT PINKY RED tips. Cant wait to see what this looks like in 6 months. I have a different SSC from another source which is a wild variety...that one is still pale brown.
DSC_0008_zpsd95de253.jpg

This is a new frag and doesnt look like much, but I have high hope this will be very nice.
DSC_0019_zps27ae08ca.jpg

Here are 3 FLASH only shots (NO T5's or LED's). The flash colour on my Nikon D70 is yellow, but note the coral colours without the tanks light. The colours are permanent; not an effect of the T5/LED lighting. The only colours that wont show this way are those which are fluorescent ie green.
DSC_9923_zps7289bc0b.jpg

DSC_9919_zps4a3711c2.jpg

DSC_9922_zpsa5ba1095.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos. There wont be an FTS because my tank is like frag city. I have around 40 SPS frags stuffed into this 47G tank. At some point I will remove the less nicer ones to allow the better coloured SPS to grow out.

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woozier Sahin this system is becoming a masterpiece
IMG_1434_zpskxp6uraz.jpg

IMG_1442_zpsuaoyuc0n.jpg

IMG_1445_zpsrrdisbzs.jpg

IMG_1444_zpsfgkbtcoh.jpg

IMG_1446_zpsorcel0fa.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsvmp9ggfp.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsfpyywyp2.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsbsnehrui.jpg

Finishing off with some tank shots:

IMG_1475_zpsu3kmblhq.jpg

IMG_1477_zpsoma8ckyu.jpg

I've had issues with nutrients over the past few months...The tank doesnt register excess PO4 or NO3, but there is some algae on the rocks (not too much though) and the corals experienced some browning or darkening. My friend Rui thought maybe my skimmer isnt upto the job.

Having looked at the system and the fish load I began to keep a close eye on the skimmer and did notice a reduction in skimmate production. Taking apart the Bubble Magus NAc skimmer showed that the meshwheel wasnt in the best of condition anymore.

BUT, I also discovered that the outer cable on the pump had split! I therefore ordered a Deltec 1351 skimmer. I found it to be a bit finicky so I returned it and got a Deltec 1456 with the DC pump. The new skimmer is running very well.

Over the next few months I plan to reduce the organics/nutrients a little more and hope that with the new skimmer and lights my corals will look better. Most look alright, but as always there are improvements to be made.

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to some updates!Acro eating spiders that's the first time I hear about those.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beautiful tank , crazy to see all the light changes you went through.. but what a great light fixture at the end [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colors and growth. Very cool to see the progress. I had the same problem with my skimmer and the nutrient levels rose quickly. I find that the PO4 NO3 test kits don't seem to be helpful for me, the algae growth rate on the glass is the best indicator for me.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an update on this masterpiece ?! =) may be a few close-ups of those insane millies. ( hope they're getting transferred into the new tank =) )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an update on this masterpiece ?! =) may be a few close-ups of those insane millies. ( hope they're getting transferred into the new tank =) )

Shortly after my tank 47G was voted Spring 2016 Tank of the Quarter, I upgraded tanks.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=119428&page=1

Current tank thread is:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sps-dominated-evolution-aqua.271311/

However, I havent updated that thread in a while. Currently battling Dinos and poor coral health after going on holiday for 4 weeks and coming back to almost dead tank. Nursing the upgrade tank back to health...Dinos still persist :(

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortly after my tank 47G was voted Spring 2016 Tank of the Quarter, I upgraded tanks.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=119428&page=1

Current tank thread is:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sps-dominated-evolution-aqua.271311/

However, I havent updated that thread in a while. Currently battling Dinos and poor coral health after going on holiday for 4 weeks and coming back to almost dead tank. Nursing the upgrade tank back to health...Dinos still persist :(
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Have you tried adding yeast. I know vivid did in their 800 and it worked really well.

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. DinoX didn't work. Doesn't work for all species of dinos so not bashing the product.

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that work very well for me in the past (and 2 of other friends) was bacteria in the bottle.
We use Brightwell aquatics microbacter7. Stop water change, and dose it every day. Overdosing it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back