IMG_1444_zpsfgkbtcoh.jpg

IMG_1446_zpsorcel0fa.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsvmp9ggfp.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsfpyywyp2.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsbsnehrui.jpg

Finishing off with some tank shots:

IMG_1475_zpsu3kmblhq.jpg

IMG_1477_zpsoma8ckyu.jpg

I've had issues with nutrients over the past few months...The tank doesnt register excess PO4 or NO3, but there is some algae on the rocks (not too much though) and the corals experienced some browning or darkening. My friend Rui thought maybe my skimmer isnt upto the job.

Having looked at the system and the fish load I began to keep a close eye on the skimmer and did notice a reduction in skimmate production. Taking apart the Bubble Magus NAc skimmer showed that the meshwheel wasnt in the best of condition anymore.

BUT, I also discovered that the outer cable on the pump had split! I therefore ordered a Deltec 1351 skimmer. I found it to be a bit finicky so I returned it and got a Deltec 1456 with the DC pump. The new skimmer is running very well.

Over the next few months I plan to reduce the organics/nutrients a little more and hope that with the new skimmer and lights my corals will look better. Most look alright, but as always there are improvements to be made.
awesome looking tank, nice job!! Colors look pretty darn good to me.

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Şahin, this is shiny! And congratulations for the award!

I recently bought giesemann infiniti 250w, not installed yet. What kind of start routine you may advise to prevent light burns? Currently I am using two kessil 350w at 90% blue and 25-30% white, over 90x70x55 cm.

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. :)

Hi Şahin, this is shiny! And congratulations for the award!

I recently bought giesemann infiniti 250w, not installed yet. What kind of start routine you may advise to prevent light burns? Currently I am using two kessil 350w at 90% blue and 25-30% white, over 90x70x55 cm.

I'd start by running the halides about 4 hours. And increase slowly until you get about 7-8 hours. Since you have T5's as well, run them about 7 hours increasing them to 9 hours etc.

Watch the corals for any lightening/paleness. It should go alright; generally its an issue going from T5 or MH to LED as LED's are deceiving when it comes to PAR.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is after nutrient issues?! Impressive display. Colors are crazy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice update photos!

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on that, and very nice looking sps's u got there, I also like the upgraded and clean lol I king light. Great job!

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing corals in a simple but greatly running system, love it. Certainly would be something to look at often when ready for my next project.
Do you feel your SPS do better under new triple combo light than under pure T5 light?

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running your nitrate at? great looking tank!
NO3=0.2ppm

Amazing corals in a simple but greatly running system, love it. Certainly would be something to look at often when ready for my next project.
Do you feel your SPS do better under new triple combo light than under pure T5 light?
Best SPS colours = MH or T5.

Best in terms of POP, Growth and COVERAGE = MH+T5+LED.

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sahin,
another Q for you, if you don't mind :) What routine do you have to make sure no bugs go into your tank with the new frags?

OP
OP
Sahin

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sahin,
another Q for you, if you don't mind :) What routine do you have to make sure no bugs go into your tank with the new frags?
Good question. Corals go through a dip and QT process. Upon purchase corals are dipped with TLF Revive. Then put in QT. If there are Acro Eating Flatworms then they go through a minimum 3 week dip and QT process. If none are found then they stay in QT and then are dipped a final time. After the dip the corals are bathed in Interceptor which kills Redbugs.

I lost my SPS collections 2 times. On the 3rd time I managed to have enough experience to deal with AEFW's properly without losing corals.

With Redbugs its not a real problem; they affect some acros; not all. And in tank treatment with Interceptor is easy (though you lose all your critters and shrimps etc), so treatment on new corals is much better.

I've also encountered Acro Eating Spiders on some frags...I used Interceptor and Revive dips. Not sure which killed the spiders but they did die and I've had the Acro in my tank for a year now with no further issues.

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Corals go through a dip and QT process. Upon purchase corals are dipped with TLF Revive. Then put in QT. If there are Acro Eating Flatworms then they go through a minimum 3 week dip and QT process. If none are found then they stay in QT and then are dipped a final time. After the dip the corals are bathed in Interceptor which kills Redbugs.

I lost my SPS collections 2 times. On the 3rd time I managed to have enough experience to deal with AEFW's properly without losing corals.

With Redbugs its not a real problem; they affect some acros; not all. And in tank treatment with Interceptor is easy (though you lose all your critters and shrimps etc), so treatment on new corals is much better.

I've also encountered Acro Eating Spiders on some frags...I used Interceptor and Revive dips. Not sure which killed the spiders but they did die and I've had the Acro in my tank for a year now with no further issues.

So far I relied only on Revive dips, never Interceptor, and probably got lucky to avoid nasty bugs. Your routine makes a lot of sense and worth to follow. Thanks for detailed info.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update! Almost makes me want to set up an SPS tank again. Almost.

I think that is the perfect size tank, it tests your skill level, but it's not impossible. You're doing a great job with the coloring and the polyp extension, glad to see everything still growing!

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am reading your tank of the Qaurter thread and first off Congratulations and wow such a beautiful reef :)

couple of questions .. :)

1. Why 400 Watts MH ?? isnt it overkill ? do you think say 250 Watt is not sufficient ?
2. i see you mentioned that you do 10% water changes every week and you use redsea pro salt ? how are you able to keep your alk at such a low level at 7.5dKh ? i used to use red sea pro salt and it never mixed lower than 11dkH ..

thanks in advance for the answers :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back