SPS Flow at Night

  • Thread starter Thread starter JAMSOURY
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2017
Messages
1,429
Reaction score
455
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do you turn down your flow at night? Or do you like to keep full on high intensity all the time? For sps dominant tanks
 
Do you turn down your flow at night? Or do you like to keep full on high intensity all the time? For sps dominant tanks
Doesn't matter either way for the SPS I think. But I run lower flow at night for the fish. Some of my fish don't hide in rockwork to sleep. Lower flow seem to make it easier for them to relax. Also LPS/NPS extend better when flow is turned down at night, make them easier to feed.
 
High flow during day, low flow during night.
 
I used to keep it full at all times. Now that I'm running my tank bare bottom I've really cranked up the flow and worry the fish wouldn't be able to rest and possibly get sucked up. So now I've cut down my mp40s to very long anti-sync pulses at 40% (basically 50% output of day flow). So far everything is looking great and it's been a few months like that.

Be sure to keep them where you get some decent surface agitation to help stabilize that ph
 
I agree it doesn't much matter either way, but in nature the flow does not slow down at night. So I've never felt the need to in my tanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new