SPS fragging question

  • Thread starter Thread starter JFrar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JFrar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
587
Reaction score
153
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys/girls so I have never gotten into fragging my SPS's yet and i kind of want to... i want to start with my birds nests i have because they grow so **** quick and seem to be a good starter to frag. Anyway so my question(s) is first what should i use to make a good clean cut that can heal up good and quick? I think i saw somewhere that a high quality pair of toe nail clippers in the cosmetics section of a retail store? i dont know i just heard that from somewhere... another question is should i dip the coral in a solution to promote a healthy heal after the cut ? I'm hoping to frag 2 of my birdsnest and let them grow to start returning them back to my LFS for some credits every few months. Thanks in advance to any feedback!
 
birds nest are a great beginers coral, i use bone cuters to snip off the desired chunk, then i use revive from 2 little fishies to dip the fresh frags, coral glue them to a plug, rinse in fresh saltwater and put back in dt next to colony until they heal. hope this helps!
 
thanks, im kinda thinkin my LFS will have some bone cutters for sale.
 
A good pair of stainless bone cutters is a good way to go and will last you a very very long time I've had mine for five years or so(I think mine came from bulkreefsupply.com). I've easily cut over 1000 frag's and have an extremely high survival rate I don't see the need to dip a fresh-cut frag it causes unnecessary stress. I do find the quicker you can cut them and return them to where they were the better they usually heal.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new