SPS frags bleacing from bottom

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanchil, you might consider removing the GFO if you are running a refugium in your sump. I also see you have quite a few soft corals which can thrive in lower light. Once you get your ICP test back, if everything looks ok, I would rent that PAR meter to see what is going on with the light. None of the life I see in your tank requires anything more than low light levels. So, light could be an issue if your water comes back with good results.

As a side note, that angle fish might be a problem for some corals.

I also don't believe that you ever told us how you acclimate your SPS and LPS corals. Do you dip them before you add them and what do you use for your dip and at what concentration.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanchil, you might consider removing the GFO if you are running a refugium in your sump. I also see you have quite a few soft corals which can thrive in lower light. Once you get your ICP test back, if everything looks ok, I would rent that PAR meter to see what is going on with the light. None of the life I see in your tank requires anything more than low light levels. So, light could be an issue if your water comes back with good results.

I also don't believe that you ever told us how you acclimate your SPS and LPS corals. Do you dip them before you add them and what do you use for your dip and at what concentration.

Thanks ! I think I need the GFO to keep the Po in control. The Po reading goes up as the GFO gets older like in 5 weeks. So my assumption is that I need GFO.

As of now the angel is a model citizen. Will keep an eye on that angel. Thanks ! In fact, the Angel and the YT are my first fish in this tank.

I dont dip the corals. But I do temp acclimate the corals and place the corals in the lowest bottom of the tank and move slowly up. Usually it takes a week or two depends on the corals. And yes I do place the corals in the bottom while the lights are off.

I should be getting my water result this week. Will share it here.

Thanks !

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. I got the results back. Here is the screenshot ...

Res 6.JPG Res 5.JPG Res 4.JPG Res 3.JPG Res 2.JPG Res 1.JPG

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not take any advice ever again from whoever recommended 11.5 alk for sps. 7.5-9 dKh is what the pros stick to. I’m not a fan of the saxby program for the average hobbyist bc the it has so much white in it. The whites on 26 HD’s can be really harsh on sps in 20-24” depth tanks, especially if they’re mounted closer than 12” off the water. I run hydras on all my systems and mount them 15” above the water.

I agree 100% with your assessment on 11.5 dKH, but it is interesting that Red Sea’s ideal “Reef Recipe” for a mixed reef as published on their web-site is 11.5 dKH. I honestly think stability is more important than the number, but I try and keep mine around 9.0.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% with your assessment on 11.5 dKH, but it is interesting that Red Sea’s ideal “Reef Recipe” for a mixed reef as published on their web-site is 11.5 dKH. I honestly think stability is more important than the number, but I try and keep mine around 9.0.
Very few ppl notice Red Sea also recommends a po4 0.08-0.12 for sps frags.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically get your alk below 8 if you want to chase low po4 with gfo. Or get rid of the gfo and leave your alk at 9

Thanks ! As I said in my previous post, my Parameter is more stable now ( at least for the last 2 months). I am able to maintain Alk around ~8.0 and Ca around ~430.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! As I said in my previous post, my Parameter is more stable now ( at least for the last 2 months). I am able to maintain Alk around ~8.0 and Ca around ~430.
I like around 7.5-8. It was drifting at high as 9 and dropping to as low as 6.5 but I don’t worry about that bc I don’t over strip the water. And I have almost zero fatalities in the last 2 years since refusing to freak out about no3/po4 with stuff like carbon dosing and gfo.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like around 7.5-8. It was drifting at high as 9 and dropping to as low as 6.5 but I don’t worry about that bc I don’t over strip the water. And I have almost zero fatalities in the last 2 years since refusing to freak out about no3/po4 with stuff like carbon dosing and gfo.

As my parameters are somewhat stable, I am going to try some more SPS frags ...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back