Sps getting white tips. Normal?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This happen to me when I over use gfo to reduce phosphate to slow down algae growth.
I end killing lot of sps and I will never use gfo again.
Now I use turf algae scrubber and no more burn tip on sps.

This looks like 'growth' - but the picture is not great. I wouldn't go changing anything (GFO, etc) until you're sure what it is. Does it look like there is still coral tissue on the tips?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this normal?

20190516_135240.jpg

That may or may not be normal. For example if there are some micro bubbles in my tank (ie. the water level is a bit too low) - the coral will shed mucus. Generally its a sign of 'distress' - whether a big deal or not depends on how long it lasts.

If its not mucus - it could be hair algae growing on the tips of dead coral (which is not good)

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may or may not be normal. For example if there are some micro bubbles in my tank (ie. the water level is a bit too low) - the coral will shed mucus. Generally its a sign of 'distress' - whether a big deal or not depends on how long it lasts.

If its not mucus - it could be hair algae growing on the tips of dead coral (which is not good)
I don't have micro bubbles it literally looks like the polyps are letting out many long filaments

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can see here the white strings are coming from under the polyps

20190516_141616.jpg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see here the white strings are coming from under the polyps

20190516_141616.jpg
Those are mesenterial filaments. They can be a sign of stress, but can also be for feeding purposes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have micro bubbles it literally looks like the polyps are letting out many long filaments
Right - Like I said - you can see it with any kind of 'stress' - for example another chemical, in the water - or a nearby coral. Do you use carbon?

dreplogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont post often, but had something to share for once!

One thing I did to try to help with the worry of GFO dust in tank is in my sump I had enough room to install an addition sock mount so all of my reactor outlets run up out of water and through an ultra fine sock. I realize this is adding another maintenance item but all but eliminated dust from carbon, GFO or any other material I would run. Best of luck, keep the water stable and in the zone!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back