SPS ID - Ponape Birdsnest?

aSaltyKlown

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
547
Reaction score
664
Location
N. VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received this as a free frag and the previous owner didn't know what it was. He did mention that it does not grow as fast as a Birdsnests that he has had before. After some research, I think it may be a type of Ponape Birdsnest. Could anyone confirm or tell me what this is?


20210523_130452.jpg


Thanks!
 
I received this as a free frag and the previous owner didn't know what it was. He did mention that it does not grow as fast as a Birdsnests that he has had before. After some research, I think it may be a type of Ponape Birdsnest. Could anyone confirm or tell me what this is?


20210523_130452.jpg


Thanks!
I have never heard of Ponape Birdsnest, I’m not well versed when it comes to trade names but if you are looking for a species name, yours looks like a Seriatopora hystrix.
 
I received this as a free frag and the previous owner didn't know what it was. He did mention that it does not grow as fast as a Birdsnests that he has had before. After some research, I think it may be a type of Ponape Birdsnest. Could anyone confirm or tell me what this is?


20210523_130452.jpg


Thanks!
Looks like a common bird of paradise to me.
 
I received this as a free frag and the previous owner didn't know what it was. He did mention that it does not grow as fast as a Birdsnests that he has had before. After some research, I think it may be a type of Ponape Birdsnest. Could anyone confirm or tell me what this is?


20210523_130452.jpg


Thanks!
Ok, I can safely say that this is not a Ponape. I was comparing photos of Ponape Birdsnest and I have narrowed it to Seriatopora stellata. What you have doesn’t resemble that and like I have mentioned earlier, is a Seriatopora hystrix.
 
Ok, I can safely say that this is not a Ponape. I was comparing photos of Ponape Birdsnest and I have narrowed it to Seriatopora stellata. What you have doesn’t resemble that and like I have mentioned earlier, is a Seriatopora hystrix.
Thank you, they all look very similar, and very hard to distinguish. I do agree it is a S. hystrix.
 
Its a thin branch green birdsnest or purple polyp birdsnest. It doesn’t have a super fancy name or anything.
 
The Ponape that I've seen look more like a ball of barbed wire..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new