SPS Issue - Flesh turning white

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have insight on what might be happening with these two SPS frags of mine? The first one has been getting worse in the past two days, and I can see the flesh coming off. The second one has barely changed in the past two days. Maybe that one is just from it growing? I am thinking about dipping these two. Any thoughts on what it may be and the right course of action to take?

IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive Thanks for the response. Should I go ahead and dip these two? Should I dip my other sps frags although I don't see anything on them ATM?
I'd wait for @ISpeakForTheSeas response, if it is black bugs it would require a pretty strong treatment, if it's sponge then I have no idea. Do you see any darker patches that could be a flatworm or any eggs? If you go in at night can you spot small moving specks on the coral? Does the white stuff move with the current at all? What are your parameters?

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. I don't see any darker patches that could be flatworms. Haven't looked at night. As you can see in the video, the white parts one first frag do move in the current. It is kinda like a fuzzy snow on the skin, with some parts looking a little more like small hairs.

alk - 8.3
ca - 430
mg - ~ 1520 I know this on the higher side. waiting for it to decrease
po4 - .12
nitrate - 40-50
ph 8.08 - 8.3
temp 77.5 - 79

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is pest damage - so this is probably a bit out of my wheelhouse - but I'd say the coral in the pics look like it may have been injured somehow (I'm not sure how) while the other coral may just be growing regularly.

So, the first coral would concern me a bit (and hopefully someone will be able to tell you exactly what's going on with it), but the second one is probably fine.

It's possible that the other one (the second coral shown in the video) is showing a burnt tip (I can't see clearly enough to tell for sure), but your alk doesn't look high enough for that too me. The thread below has some decent pics of both normal growth and burnt tips if you want to compare for yourself though:

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @ISpeakForTheSeas - It has been sitting on the frag rack looking fine for two months. This just started suddenly a few days ago. Parameters have been stable. The only thing I could think of is that it was getting hit with too much flow, as I did change my flow around recently. But I really doubt that is the case. Still not sure if I should dip it or leave it alone. Maybe move it to a lower light, lower flow area. I am open to suggestions.

Regarding the second frag - I checked the link and a few others, and it's tough to say.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @ISpeakForTheSeas - It has been sitting on the frag rack looking fine for two months. This just started suddenly a few days ago. Parameters have been stable. The only thing I could think of is that it was getting hit with too much flow, as I did change my flow around recently. But I really doubt that is the case. Still not sure if I should dip it or leave it alone. Maybe move it to a lower light, lower flow area. I am open to suggestions.

Regarding the second frag - I checked the link and a few others, and it's tough to say.
Yeah, I'd check at night to be sure there aren't any pests bothering it or nearby corals stinging it or something, but I'm guessing something else is going on here. I'm not sure what, though, unfortunately, so I don't know if moving it or dipping it would help.

OP
OP
R33f_Hacker

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the tank last night, and all the frags had great polyp extensions. No sign of pest or anything so I am going to let it be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back