SPS nitrate and phosphate levels opinions!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I will get different opinions but trying to see if I am going to be ok with SPS. So have had tank for long time but going to mostly SPS due to my regal angel now fiesting on my zoas and lps. So short story I have seemed to stabilize my tank at phos at .03 ppm but nitrates seems to be stuck at 28ppm. Will SPS CORALS be ok long term? I can live with a little hair algae as I have but under control. Just questioning coral health. Thank you for response

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be OK with those (as long as they are stable). I went from Nitrate of over 50, phosphate of around 0.20 (in May) to this and notice significant improvement in colors and my SPS seem happy still. Absolutely no issues with algae.

Attachments

• 20220701_221718.jpg
    20220701_221718.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 116

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience low nutrients were not a factor in keeping SPS rather extreme stability. I had .03-.1 phosphates with 5-10 nitrates for over a year but could never successfully keep SPS. It wasn't until I stopped tinkering, got a auto top off to keep my salinity spot on, and completely stopped making any changes to my tank that I was able to keep SPS alive. My most resent test I had phosphates at .8!! I thought my hanna ULR checker must have been wrong so I ordered a new one and got the same reading. But my SPS are doing just fine. Based upon everything I've read on the internet I didn't believe this was even possible...

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the nitrogen down to below 10 ppm if possible. I run my system at about .75 ppm nitrogen and 00 phosphate (I dose phosphate and it will hit .03 every now and then, I have a refugium).

But reef aquariums can be strange…. very strange. People can be successful with all sorts of parameters. I have a low nutrient system but even my LPS corals are quite happy and one would think that they wouldn’t be so go figure.

My point is that one can hit an odd sweet spot and the corals are happy. If it isn’t broken don’t fix it.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I will get different opinions but trying to see if I am going to be ok with SPS. So have had tank for long time but going to mostly SPS due to my regal angel now fiesting on my zoas and lps. So short story I have seemed to stabilize my tank at phos at .03 ppm but nitrates seems to be stuck at 28ppm. Will SPS CORALS be ok long term? I can live with a little hair algae as I have but under control. Just questioning coral health. Thank you for response

I'll agree that your nutrients are probably ok for SPS, however, if your angelfish is eating your current softies and LPS, it will probably enjoy your SPS as well. I'd be more worried about getting rid of the angel.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all I I agree stability is key that is why I ask. Since stable where I am at! I have been dosing nopox for awhile and seem to hit this mark for quit some time but don’t want to increase the dosage anymore since I am dosing 10 ml per day in my 125 but really don’t want to dose more and appears to stabilize at this time. I know bottle says I can do more but when I do I start to get unstable and things fluctuate. Oh and islandlife. I hear ya on Regal angelfish but he appears to be leaving my green slimer and some other small drags alone for now so will watch but just like him to much!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back