Sps not growing as quick as they should

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out why my sps are growing at a very slow rate if at all. I have had some in the tank for about a year with barely any growth other than encrusting. All of the sps are in 250-450 par of lighting. I am running radion gen 3 and viparspectras. The corals are not dieing but also not growing as fast as they could be. My parameters are as follows:
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.2
Calc 440
Mag 1440
Po4 .02
No3 5ppm
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for flow? I'd recommend more flow and increase your PH to 8.3 by using a CO2 scrubber.

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow I have 2 xf 350s and 3 Neptune wavs. From what I can see I seem to have tons of flow. I don't feed the corals but I feed the fish heavy. I'll try and get the pH up to 8.3.

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about red bug? I didn’t know I had it for a year. Also run an ati water test. It can alert you to a problem.
Never seen any bugs but I'll take a closer look. I have been tempted to send out a ati test.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see them until I got a lens kit for my iPhone. You should have seen them bailout when I treated with interceptor

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow I have 2 xf 350s and 3 Neptune wavs. From what I can see I seem to have tons of flow. I don't feed the corals but I feed the fish heavy. I'll try and get the pH up to 8.3.
Sounds like you have plenty of flow. Try getting the PH up. I had seen major growth in my Acros once I added CO2 scrubbers. Inspect for pest as mentioned along with try one of the ATI, ICP or Fauna Marin Test to help ID any parameter issues. Maybe check for any magnets rusting or any other metals in the tank. Also check for stray voltage.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! What can you tell us about your setup? Corals, fish, etc? Flow, spectrum, intensity? Water changes, salt, feeding? One might say your post is presumptuous, saying your corals aren’t growing as fast as they should be. To be honest, we’ll need a lot more information about your setup to offer any advice. And pictures! Everyone likes pictures!

I will say your P04 is really low. It could be slowing down the calcification process, limiting growth.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose amino acids or do something like reef energy. You could also bump your alk up to 9.

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! What can you tell us about your setup? Corals, fish, etc? Flow, spectrum, intensity? Water changes, salt, feeding? One might say your post is presumptuous, saying your corals aren’t growing as fast as they should be. To be honest, we’ll need a lot more information about your setup to offer any advice. And pictures! Everyone likes pictures!

I will say your P04 is really low. It could be slowing down the calcification process, limiting growth.
I have about 25 sps mostly acros, some seem to do better than other. I have a few LPs in the middle of the tank and they seem to all be happy and healthy. For fish I have 4 tangs, 3 chromis, 3 anthiuos, file fish, Christmas wrasse, 3 clowns, I also have a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. As for spectrum I am running the ab+ program on radion gen 3 at 85%. I feed flakes once a day. I don't do water changes very often because I can not keep my nitrate and phosphate up with out dosing. I probably do a 10-20% water change once a month. As for salt I used reef crystals for year but not I am using red Sea Blue bucket.

I have been trying to figure out what my po4 should be at for quite some time now. What would you recommend it be at?

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could feed more, might be phos limited.
I have been trying to figure out where my phos should be. Any suggestions of a target for po4? I need to dose it to keep it above 0

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 25 sps mostly acros, some seem to do better than other. I have a few LPs in the middle of the tank and they seem to all be happy and healthy. For fish I have 4 tangs, 3 chromis, 3 anthiuos, file fish, Christmas wrasse, 3 clowns, I also have a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. As for spectrum I am running the ab+ program on radion gen 3 at 85%. I feed flakes once a day. I don't do water changes very often because I can not keep my nitrate and phosphate up with out dosing. I probably do a 10-20% water change once a month. As for salt I used reef crystals for year but not I am using red Sea Blue bucket.

I have been trying to figure out what my po4 should be at for quite some time now. What would you recommend it be at?
I forgot to mention I am also running a calcium reactor

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos to share of what, "they are not growing as fast as they should?" looks like? IMO I have definitely had some SPS that were much slower to adapt than other, and definitely could see it taking as long as a year for that to happen. Do they still look healthy even though the growth is not obvious?

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos to share of what, "they are not growing as fast as they should?" looks like? IMO I have definitely had some SPS that were much slower to adapt than other, and definitely could see it taking as long as a year for that to happen. Do they still look healthy even though the growth is not obvious?
I will take some photos of everything when I get home tonight. The reason I say they are not growing as fast as they should be is because I have seen them stop growing a few times over the year. Something is off but I can't figure out what it is.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea pictures are the best way to help you. Otherwise everyone’s going to just say what helped them with something similar and that list could be huge.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is a good measure of growth that we, as hobbiests, should shoot for?

In your mind, what is "good growth?" To someone else, it may be different.

Show us some photos of you tank if you can.

OP
OP
M

Milldozer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is about 7 months growth on a trip Marvin the Martian

20190912_192110.jpg 20200202_102447.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back