SPS pico tank success?

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with a SPS pico tank? I'm a stick guy so I know the difficulty but wonder if anyone has been able to keep steady parameters with such a small tank.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes water changes water changes. I ran a fully stocked 6 gallon with lights and a filter stock. 2 cup water change everyday same time. (was not running leds) Had a 2 bulb 24w t5 retrofit. I had no problems

Sketch804

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to that. I had decent luck with some in a 2.5 pico but only limited success. They grow very slow in such a small environment IMO. Clean water seems to be a main factor.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey erik heard you got a pico. can't wait to see it. i've got about 5 sps frags and a huge clam in the 7.5g nano. everything is looking great. water changes i think is the biggest task and keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible. the only thing for filter i have is an aquaclear 50 hob filter with a tbsp of carbon and gfo in media bags.
IMG_9099_zpseddff41d.jpg

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure after about 6 months everything will stable out pretty well. i've got birds of paradise, green birdsnest, joe the coral, red planet, unknown acro, rainbow monti, and a bonsai thats encrusted after selling the frag plug it was on. plus that huge clam. everything looked great until a few weeks ago when i bought a tiger shrimp whos been digging holes whenever the lights are on and has stirred up all the sand a 100x. lol

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure after about 6 months everything will stable out pretty well. i've got birds of paradise, green birdsnest, joe the coral, red planet, unknown acro, rainbow monti, and a bonsai thats encrusted after selling the frag plug it was on. plus that huge clam. everything looked great until a few weeks ago when i bought a tiger shrimp whos been digging holes whenever the lights are on and has stirred up all the sand a 100x. lol

With such a small volume of water = less margin for error.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back