SPS red bug treatment and getting interceptor

aalhait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Bay Area and a member of BAR. I’ve had an sps bleaching problem from the bottom up and noticed red bugs on some of them.
It’s a 150g tank with 20-30g sump. How do I treat it and get interceptor. Who can help me get it and how do I treat it exactly. I don’t want to shock my tank and it’s been a long journey to get to where I am keeping SPS.

Are there local folks that can also help ?

please help.
thank you
AJ

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen redbugs kill an acropora, however they do add a layer of stress, which if combined with another stressor like alk swing, temp spike etc etc it can compound and lead to STN.

Mostly RBs alone just reduce growth and color.

Best of luck! were you able to order without q vets Rx? if so that's pretty awesome!
I have a feeling that Interceptor with milbemycin oxime as the only active ingredient maybe going away soon, I have been seeing ads for Interceptor plus, which is milbemycin oxime and praziquantel, while prazi is "somewhat" reef safe, its far from ideal.
Usually if a company releases an "improved" formulation. the old one doesn't stick around very long

Best of luck!

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
interceptor plus works, i was able to get it from my vet, but they don't keep regular interceptor in stock.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my interceptor within a week from the UK. It is the beef flavor chew so a little different but it seems to be work. I did my second treatment last night and will do a water change when I get home.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nick Steele Did the treatment work? Any issues? Considering using it on mine but concerned that it has prazi in it.

I had good success with the treatment no red bugs afterwards and sps were rebounding. Sadly I had a phosphate/alk issue when reintroducing sand and all my sps went downhill then and have since decided to go lps/softie tank.

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red bugs dont kill acros
i would be looking for flatworms or tank levels
red bugs are like fleas just tick them off but dont kill them .....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back