revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
StrawberryShortcake-50per1Frag.jpg

image Aqua SD

I would like to get some info and pictures from some of you guys who have kept this coral colorful, healthy and growing.

1. Optimal Tank Perimeters: ???

2. Best Lighting or Combo: ??

3. Best Placement: ??

4. Best Flow: ??

Please share any advice and photos you may have.

Thanks!

Haddonis Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine at top of tank w high light (Chinese 120 watt LEDs) high flow (mp 40) as far as parameters 400 ca 9 dkh 1300 mag is what I shoot for sometime a bit more or less!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have mine at top of tank w high light (Chinese 120 watt LEDs) high flow (mp 40) as far as parameters 400 ca 9 dkh 1300 mag is what I shoot for sometime a bit more or less!

How is the looks and growth? Do you have any pics?

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gets moderate flow, moderate to high light (I run ATI powermodule, 4 bulbs - 3 ati blue plus 1 kz purple). It's getting as much light as I can give it in my tank. Hard to believe I've already had this coral for 9 months, and all it did is encrust like crazy. I'm pleased with the colors I'm getting. I wonder when new branches will grow out from the base. Last test my water was calcium 400, alk 9. Haven't tested in 2 months tho.

When I first got it. This pic may have been under halides.
IMG_5963crop.jpg

A few weeks ago. The base looks green in the pic, but it's more yellow light green.
IMG_7263crop.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep ours under 400w MH's (Ushio 14k Bulbs). It sits in the lower top 1/3 of the tank.

Our tank param's are:
Temp: 74.5 - 76.5 (avg is 75.5)
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.25
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1350
KH: 9.5

Here's an underwater macro shot of ours.

P1000084 by terryl93, on Flickr

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is my all time favorite acro I must say.... There is a few strains of it out there and the originals are shocking "unique corals" the ones floating around now don't hold the color or get as intense as the first few ones to drop.... There all nice don't get me wrong but if you owned 10 different ones like I did at one point you would see a clear difference...: I have had best luck with med to low light and high flow...;)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine high flow and light at the top of my rock structure. The color is great but it grows really slow, lots of encrusting but not a lot of upright growth so far but it looks like its gonna take off soon. I dont have any pics, I'm not good enough with the camera to get nice shots of my smaller corals yet.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its keeping its color maybe dont go for growth...slow growth with great color trumps growth with less color everytime IMO

Definitely... I don't mind slow growth for better color with anything in my tank.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High light, high flow for mine. Part of mine is shaded and it is not as nicely colored. I love the green with the red. Seems like a tough coral. Dipped in Bayer and then in iodine and colored up in 2 weeks. Mine is a Aussie wild caught colony 4 by 8. The coolest sps in my tank.

80a572d9.jpg

Last edited:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is my all time favorite acro I must say.... There is a few strains of it out there and the originals are shocking "unique corals" the ones floating around now don't hold the color or get as intense as the first few ones to drop.... There all nice don't get me wrong but if you owned 10 different ones like I did at one point you would see a clear difference...: I have had best luck with med to low light and high flow...;)
I totally agree. I wonder why I dont see the earlier ones anymore? the first pic is one I got almost 3 years ago. Its red is intense and has held its color and a much slower grower. the second one is several months old and encrusts very fast. keeping both side by side since they look so different.
IMG_3854.jpg
IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_8868.jpg

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed the differences also from piece to piece that come in. I had a frag that browned out and stayed that way for a year before it gave up on living.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back