Sps Spotlight: Strawberry Shortcake Acropora

larryhaynes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a nice frag from reefer93105 !! Can't wait for it to start growing in my tank!! Still in the bag!!!

image.jpg

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread. Anyone have any PAR values that makes this coral thrive?

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I recently sold it to a LFS.
I grew it in the very center of my tank under 8x39w t5 roughly 250 PAR. I have 2 gyre 130s for flow set on 100% alternating gyre.
7.5dkh 440ca 1400mg
IMG_8775_edited_zpsdywqx28a__78784.1477624908.380.380.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of my old shortcake from years ago, i got it as a wild piece back when you didn't see them often. Different than the new ones that are collected wild imo. I wish I would have taken a picture of the new growth on it, the big pic is where the original fragment started and looks good but not as good as the new growth did. It was hard to take a good pic of because of a brace.

Last edited:

Gene C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190601_104540.jpg
Feeding time! Ca 400 . Alk 9.5 Flow: Moderate, fixed. Radion XR30W Gen 4 Coral Lab AB+ setup at 55%.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are high up. Flow is med high. Light is high. Alk at 8, Ca 420-450, Mg 1300. Nitrates 1.5 and phosphates .01 to .04.

I have 2 frags each from a different source with a different “look”. The first started growing after a week or two. The second took about 5 weeks and then started to grow. Both are growing pretty fast.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SSC in feeding state.
20190614_104810.jpg
New to acros and have never target fed any sps. Do most sps exhibit this feeding response? And do you turn flow off if target fed or just broadcast
Also worth mentioning just picked up a SSC frag myself still light acclimating

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to acros and have never target fed any sps. Do most sps exhibit this feeding response? And do you turn flow off if target fed or just broadcast
Highly debated topics. Some acros will do this yes. Debatable if it’s a feeding response or a stress response. Flow off is debatable because some experts say corals cannot properly metabolize and digest food without flow, so don’t change the normal flow patterns. Target fed or broadcast is also debatable because some experts also think that acropora in captivity don’t actually eat food at all, they just grow purely off light.

I occasionally turn the flow off and target feed my acros (2-4x a month) so the moral here is do whatever you want :)

Gene C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I leave one of the three circulation pumps running so there is water movement, but the return pump to the sump and the skimmer are turned off allowing the slow feeders an opportunity to feed. I do target feed all corals during this time. Circulation pumps come back online in 15 minutes, return pump in 30 minutes and skimmer in two hours. I see this type of response from other across during this time as well.
20190614_103834.jpg

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, SSC is one of those Acropora species that frequently releases Mesenterial Filaments. Whenever I've done a WC, fragged or even cleaned the glass, SSC slimes up bad. I would never consider this a positive reaction, nor would I try to provoke this behavior. Whether or not the Mesenterial Filaments catch particulate, and actually ingest it for food is debatable. I have always considered this a stress response. Even if it's when feeding the coral is likely irritated by dead seafood product floating around, and/or coming into contact with its tissue. It reacts by sending out the Filaments to fight any foreign obstacle or particulate coming into contact with it. People will argue it's a response to feeding, and beneficial. I don't think corals would waste energy expelling these filaments to capture food this way. They come out to protect the coral.

Focus on feeding the fish, and feed your corals through a good light source.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back