OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same light... if it's hung 9 inches above water line and the frag is 10 inches below the surface i wouldnt think this is bleaching.

To much flow maybe? I have 2 gyre XF230s. I have been messing with the settings as of now I have it set to pulse mode at 30%.. Changed it from the alternating gyre mode. Anything more and my stuff on the sand bed was getting to much flow. This frag is in direct line with the current.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has taken me till just recently to realize most times its best to be patient and not impulsive. A good rule of thumb is to just wait and observe and not react (I am guilty of this all the time). It's one thing if you feel that anemone is stinging it or some other obvious pressing cause then yes move it.

So many times on this forum I hear its probably xyz you need to do abc. SPS hate change. Let them get comfy and stable. That's my opinion.

I agree if everything else in the system is good and healthy don’t mess with the system.

Look for pest, anything that could be irritating that spot on the coral. Like maybe too much flow blasting that side.

Sometimes this happens and for no real reason or any reason within your control. The worse thing you can possibly do is change the system. That will only upset all the other corals.

You could try placing it somewhere else, glueing over that area. If it gets worse cut all the dead stuff off and reglue it as a last resort.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s appears to be peeling. Best bet is to cut the Coral ASAP. Cut off the top so it’s only healthy tissues. The peeled portion toss. If you don’t cut the good portion off the whole thing will die soon.
Once you do this is could still die, no guarantees.
I had a acro doing this once that I cut several times before finally it stopped peeling. Alk swing could be the culprit.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also looks to be more STN/RTN going on there. Rather than bleaching.

I would have to agree that the frag seems to have tissue loss along the back (bottom left in the photo).

In my experience a new frag getting too much will either brown out or bleach (more often brown) and in those circumstances time to adjust while leaving it alone usually solves the problem and the organism will adjust to the new surroundings.

In the case of tissue loss immediate intervention is usually warranted.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I'd look into flow burn IF it's directly in the path of a powerhead. My mp40 can burn the flesh of a coral in front of it 2ft away so I wouldn't asume that anyplace directly in line with a big circulation pump is going to be ok without experimentation.

I'd also like to mention that's a tiny frag. Sometimes a small freshly cut frag going through all the stress of that, then being moved to a new system with different..,well everything, can be a bit much.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s appears to be peeling. Best bet is to cut the Coral ASAP. Cut off the top so it’s only healthy tissues. The peeled portion toss. If you don’t cut the good portion off the whole thing will die soon.
Once you do this is could still die, no guarantees.
I had a acro doing this once that I cut several times before finally it stopped peeling. Alk swing could be the culprit.

Ya, I may have to do this.. I moved it last night down to a lower rock where it’s not in the direct path of the gyre. Also dialed the gyres down a little. I’ll keep an eye on it for a couple of days to see how it’s doing. If I notice it not improving I’ll cut it and take my chances.. Thank you

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can you guys tell it’s peeling from that picture. Is that picture with lights out?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral appears to have lost some tissue already. I would not really judge anything in your tank by this one specimen.

No, 6 bulb T5 and some reef brites is not too much light for acropora.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral appears to have lost some tissue already. I would not really judge anything in your tank by this one specimen.

No, 6 bulb T5 and some reef brites is not too much light for acropora.

I’m leaning towards to much flow directly on it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back