Squamosa PAR

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somehow had missed this paper. I am making a topic so I don't forget it! I see this question sometimes, so it might be useful if anyone searches.

Can giant clam (Tridacna squamosa) populations be restored on Singapore's heavily impacted coral reefs? - Guest - 2007 - Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems - Wiley Online Library

I think this is a pay to read, but I have access through work. Here are the highlights:

Clam growth experiment
An aquarium experiment was conducted to quantify clam growth under three light treatments: 50%
ambient (800 mmol s1m2) photosynthetically active radiation (PAR); 25% ambient PAR
(400 mmol s1m2); and 12% ambient PAR (180 mmol s1m2). Mean values from readings were
obtained on a clear sunny day with a Li-Cor Biosciences light meter. These conditions were achieved using
commercial nursery netting; tanks were supplied with flow-through filtered seawater and lightly aerated.
The T. squamosa used in this experiment and the subsequent field transplantation study were obtained from
the giant clam mariculture programme at the Bolinao Marine Laboratory of the Marine Science Institute,
University of the Philippines. The clams were quarantined prior to shipment (to reduce the possibility of
alien species introductions) before being transferred to the Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI) on
St John’s Island, Singapore. The clams were approximately 8 months old when the aquarium experiments
began in July 2003. In each treatment 30 clams (mean shell length among treatments ¼ 30:51 mm) were
maintained for 10 weeks. Maximum shell lengths (Vernier calipers, 0.01 mm) and wet weight (digital
scales, 0.01 g) were measured at the beginning and end of the experiment.

Clam growth was significantly different among the three light treatment tanks (df1 ¼ 4; df2 ¼ 171; Wilks’
lambda ¼ 0:62; Rao’s R ¼ 11:65; P50.001) and between all pairwise combinations (Tukey tests, P50.05),
with both length and wet weight of those maintained under 50% ambient PAR increasing over twice as
much as those experiencing just12%ambient PAR (Figure 2). Nevertheless, the clams maintained at12%
ambient PAR still grew an average of 3mmmonth1 during the 10 week period. The mean growth rate for
50% ambient PAR was 7.4mmmonth1 (SD ¼ 2:4mm), for 25% ambient PAR it was 5.9mmmonth1
(SD ¼ 2:6 mm) and for 12% ambient PAR it was 3.0mmmonth1 (SD ¼ 2:3mm). All clams survived and
no bleaching or other signs of stress were observed in clams subjected to any of the three treatments.

Capturec.JPG

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice work. I just got my first squami and was kind of curious. I have kept derasa and crocea, but never a squami.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you found it interesting. I wish they would calculate the daily light integral and not just PAR. Would make it more useful for us to have both numbers.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, seems like knowing photoperiod along with PAR is extremely important.

This seems to jive with the graphs Ive seen about the max and peak PAR of clams. Seems like a nearly linear growth rate until about 750-1000par then the growth rate slows down. I would have liked to see a roughly 100 par group and a 100% daylight group included in this study.

Yashagoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! really appreciate the information! could this be applied for croceas and maximas? Thank you again for the information.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! really appreciate the information! could this be applied for croceas and maximas? Thank you again for the information.

No problem! I wouldn't apply to maximas and croceas since they can be super shallow dwelling. Derasas I think would be about the same though.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.

I disagree though - PAR is sufficient, they have a natural sunny day (Singapore) not an artificial photoperiod.

Even a lux reading would tell everything that needed to be said for us to use this info at home:

Even at only 1/8 of the full intensity of daylight, these clams can grow and be apparently happy. :)

(For everyone using a lux meter or app, that's about 25,000 lux, by the way.)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would calculate the daily light integral

Yeah, seems like knowing photoperiod along with PAR is extremely important.
sun go up and down different time depending on season. even singapore.:D
But yea weird they didnt list the photo period they used.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.

I disagree though - PAR is sufficient, they have a natural sunny day (Singapore) not an artificial photoperiod.

Even a lux reading would tell everything that needed to be said for us to use this info at home:

Even at only 1/8 of the full intensity of daylight, these clams can grow and be apparently happy. :)

(For everyone using a lux meter or app, that's about 25,000 lux, by the way.)

What do you disagree with? The research paper? They just reported their results, not much to disagree with there.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sun go up and down different time depending on season. even singapore.:D
But yea weird they didnt list the photo period they used.

Correct, which is why that data is important to replicate results. If the photoperiod was static there would not be an issue.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wasn't clear at all. ;)

I disagree that PAR was not enough to make use of the info they were reporting. It was enough - for us. :)

And what I meant by the "natural sunny day" comment was that photoperiod outside is more or less a known quantity:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Dur_OneYear.php

It won't account for cloudy days, but it's still mostly the info you'd want.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! It does get tricker with home systems since not many run color temp like sunlight, but with the power most lighting systems have not under-illumination is not the problem it once was. I have noticed that even my maximas will close up by the end of the day when they have had enough light.

I would love to see a clam growth experiment under blue, white and red LEDs with growth for those individual colors and also mixing them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, which is why that data is important to replicate results. If the photo period was static there would not be an issue.
Agreed.

but with the power most lighting systems have not under-illumination is not the problem it once was.
When whas that? You dont mean metal halide do you?:eek:

I would love to see a clam growth experiment under blue, white and red LEDs with growth for those individual colors and also mixing them.
A fun home experiment is get those three R G & B and stand way back and look at them with a spectrometer.
Now do the same with a tungsten filament bulb. A 5000kelvin (full spectrum) spiral compact bulb, and a phillips par 38(not marked but its 48k.)
Now what can you grow under those. Intensity not in the equasion at this point.

BTW a serviceable spectrometer is $15 or less.
home systems since not many run color temp like sunlight
and yea. they do actually. Ill leave it to you to find out why that is.:D
Hint Dana Riddle can help you out on it, he did for me actually.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

When whas that? You dont mean metal halide do you?:eek:
No, I am referring to maybe a decade or 15 years ago before T5HO were around and long before LEDs. Many people ran compact fluorescent or regular tubes. There were halides of course, but not everyone used them. If you look at many clam reference books you will see many issues with too little light and many of those issues/questions were from compact fluorescent times.

A fun home experiment is get those three R G & B and stand way back and look at them with a spectrometer.
Now do the same with a tungsten filament bulb. A 5000kelvin (full spectrum) spiral compact bulb, and a phillips par 38(not marked but its 48k.)
Now what can you grow under those. Intensity not in the equasion at this point.

Why would you not look at intensity?

BTW a serviceable spectrometer is $15 or less.

and yea. they do actually. Ill leave it to you to find out why that is.:D
Hint Dana Riddle can help you out on it, he did for me actually.
I fear that I have to disagree with you. I am familiar with his work, but I do not agree that many people run color temps comparable to sunlight over their reefs. 20k+ has been "in" for quite a long time with radiums and now with LEDs 12k tanks are considered white by many. I have not personally seen a reef tank under 5.5k or 6.5k light in the past decade. While I am sure they still exist, it is certainly a minority. Even many (not all of course) FW planted tank folks keep the lights higher than 6.5k

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are just talking about emulating a surface reef. Bluer light is much more comparable with light 50m down.

Neither is wrong, but bluer light definitely makes for more colorful corals.

Now the folks adding red and green colored LEDs… I'm not so sure about that. ;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup t12 was a disaster from what I have heard from the old timers yea. The PC's worked(lumen to lumen with t5) but were more expensive to manufacture. t12 came before PC.
Your a clam Guy? I dig bi valves.
I would think they would actually do better under a fuller spectrum than what we keep corals at. Sea level spectrum as opposed to 1 to 3 meters. That would go for shallow water sps too. despite the status quo, yea.

A tree is green because it doesnt absorb green for photosynthesis. A clam is blue because????? I always wondered this.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup t12 was a disaster from what I have heard from the old timers yea. The PC's worked(lumen to lumen with t5) but were more expensive to manufacture. t12 came before PC.
Your a clam Guy? I dig bi valves.
I would think they would actually do better under a fuller spectrum than what we keep corals at. Sea level spectrum as opposed to 1 to 3 meters. That would go for shallow water sps too. despite the status quo, yea.

A tree is green because it doesnt absorb green for photosynthesis. A clam is blue because????? I always wondered this.

Check out the spectrum in lagoon water vs coastal vs open ocean. It's not just the relative depth.

I think the actinic blues we see in clam mantles are generated by the pigments in the clam from other wavelengths that I presume are less useful.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T12 put out "enough light", but even less people used meters back then.

So nobody knew if they were getting it right until things stopped dying....they could rarely tell what parts of their system they had right or what was still wrong. So the inconsistent results back then (even for more modern halides and T5s) are pretty explainable to me.

You should be able to find some old GARF videos of their "bullet proof reef" from back in the day....it used T12 and within its limits, worked as well as anything. (Not ideal of course...lots of very good reasons we're not all using T12 today.)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back