Squareback Anthias help

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, (Specially Humble fish / melypr)

I am getting 5 square back anthias on 2nd Jan 17. First set of salt water fish and so far acclimated and quarantined only mollies. Getting nervous on reading so many things about anthias my plane is below. Please advise and support me for getting it succeeded.

Medicine in hand - API general cure, CP, Pimafix, Melafix, Praziquantel tablet, Furan 2, Kanaplex, Pottasium permanganate, Epsom salt

Treatment - 1. After they started to eat up - 8 doses with API General cure recommended period and water change
2. Leaving for a week with water changes and Carbon
3. Pimafix and Melafix together for a week
4. absorbing for a week more with water changes and carbon
5. Acclimating to the display

Feeding - hatched brine shrimps, DIY frozen fish meat soaked in cod liver oil, Australian black worm pellets.

KIndly check and correct me on the above protocol.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment - 1. After they started to eat up - 8 doses with API General cure recommended period and water change
2. Leaving for a week with water changes and Carbon
3. Pimafix and Melafix together for a week
4. absorbing for a week more with water changes and carbon
5. Acclimating to the display

I don't understand "8 doses with API General Cure". You'd only need to administer 2 doses in order to deworm; space the doses 5-7 days apart (NOT the 48 hours the directions say).

Using Pimafix & Melafix adds little value unless a minor infection is noticed.

You might want to consider prophylactic use of copper to treat for external parasites.

DO NOT USE CP ON ANTHIAS.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. At a minimum, I would combine the General Cure with Tank Transfer Method but be ready with copper on hand just in case velvet pops up.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Melypr and Humble fish,
to summarise,
1.I will make one dose per week make water change of 10% and make another dose for second week.
2. after that 10% water change running 24hours with carbon and then what shall i do if it's eating normal
I am having Seachem cupramine (with slaifert copper test kit), pima and mela fix and also Seachem Paraguard. Please suggest.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Melypr and Humble fish,
to summarise,
1.I will make one dose per week make water change of 10% and make another dose for second week.
2. after that 10% water change running 24hours with carbon and then what shall i do if it's eating normal
I am having Seachem cupramine (with slaifert copper test kit), pima and mela fix and also Seachem Paraguard. Please suggest.

Well if you dont' want to, or can't do TTM then run copper for 30 days at .5ppm. After the 30 days you can remove the copper and observe for a week or two before introducing into the display.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you dont' want to, or can't do TTM then run copper for 30 days at .5ppm. After the 30 days you can remove the copper and observe for a week or two before introducing into the display.

Dear Melypr,
That's the fact actually I can't do tank transfer. So I will dose Cupramine slowly to have reach 0.5ppm in 2 to 3 days and let it run for 30 days and test for copper every 3 days to ensure the theraumatic level. I hope I will achieve and I am so nervous that you can't believe. I am waiting like to present an toughest exam.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Melypr,
That's the fact actually I can't do tank transfer. So I will dose Cupramine slowly to have reach 0.5ppm in 2 to 3 days and let it run for 30 days and test for copper every 3 days to ensure the theraumatic level. I hope I will achieve and I am so nervous that you can't believe. I am waiting like to present an toughest exam.

No worries. You'll do fine if you take your time with it.... can't advise on the exam but I'll say good luck on that too! ;)

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Melypr & HF,

Received 5 fire red pink anthias and they are in QT with API general cure starting from yesterday, as planned the schedule will be two weeks with API general cure. After 1st week changing 20% water and adding one more dose of API general cure for one more week.
After water change of 20% on 3rd week, 2 days running with UV, copper, matrix, carbon & purigen for one day and then dosing with cupramine at 0.5ppm for one month.

Please advise what will be the best time to add Pima fix and mela fix even without any sign of infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please advise what will be the best time to add Pima fix and mela fix even without any sign of infection.

No need to do either of these without signs of a minor infection. If something more than very minor pops up, these products won't help the fish much. I suggest continuing to source Kanaplex or Furan2 for infections in case they happen.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to do either of these without signs of a minor infection. If something more than very minor pops up, these products won't help the fish much. I suggest continuing to source Kanaplex or Furan2 for infections in case they happen.

Ok Meredith noted the above reply with thanks. I am having Furan 2 and Kanaplex both in hand and as advised will use it in case of need. so far its good. They are coming out of the pvc in QT for eating. Yesterday I fed them with brine shrimp freshly hatched and they started eating only after I leave the room. Today they are showing themselves to me except one.
Will surely knock you for help and suggestions if needed. Please bare my nuisance.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Meredith,

Fishes are doign great in QT and loving to have krill flakes more than brine shrimp. Getting nice colour with red and pink stripes. 1 week getting complete with first dose of API general cure and one more week with the second dose. After that I will go with cupramine and to recall you have mentioned the concentration should be 0.5ppm for 30 days am i right ? Please confirm

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made my first set of fire red pink anthias (5) fishes in my display tank. MY FIRST FISHES !!!!

All the credit goes to only 3 persons, Reef2Reef, Meredith & HF. Here is the Video link for your views....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back